the {almost} back to school blues.
Today was my first day back to my "school" schedule. Although school doesn't start until next week, we have our staff in-service and therefore I have to be at the school for meetings. I informed my children that it's bootcamp here at the Sniff house. No more summer bed-times or sleeping in. It's back to the grind. I'm not doing this to be mean, or even desire to do so really - it just has to be done. This is going to make getting up for school next week much easier.
School. {sigh}
I am in denial. Where did the summer go? You know, the laid back days full of some productiveness, but also lots of fun? The days where I didn't feel like I was literally a drill sergeant getting kids up and ready, lunches packed, out the door on time, march, march, march, and so forth. Where many moms are ready to send their kids back to school, I am going to miss summer.
I'm feeling so introspective right now. I was exhausted all day {due to getting up at 4:00 a.m.} and was counting down to bed-time. Everyone except me was asleep by 8:24 p.m. I know because I looked at my phone and marveled. What in the world? I turned everything off and closed my eyes. I fell asleep. I awoke to the baby crying and I knew it had to be almost time to wake up. Nope. It was 8:45 p.m. So, here I sit - now 9:54 p.m. - I had my power nap and my mind is spinning. I'm not ready for school because I will blink and it will be summer again. Yeah, I was just complaining it was NOT summer and now I don't want it to be? I just know how much my boys grew this year and I just want to stay here. I cannot do that, I know, but the thought is nice, anyway. This year Silas will begin first grade, Eli will begin Kindergarten {how?} and Jeremiah is continuing to grow up before my eyes. Each day he becomes less and less baby and more a little boy.
Enjoy the moments. Enjoy the moments. I have to remind myself of this constantly. Like, when Silas actually sat in my lap today to show me a cool app on his iPad. When Eli snuggled close and said he just wanted to be with me. When I watched Jeremiah be a little sneak, playing "hide and seek" in my closet and giggling hysterically. It's so easy to let things like this pass me by, if I'm too busy or hurried. That's the last thing I want to do.
This afternoon was kick back. I only went to work for the morning and came home with no errands to run, no agenda and no chores to do. It was bliss. I took a few moments to watch my baby sleep and to watch my boys relax. The time is fleeting and I don't want to miss it.
![]() |
| I know you've seen this photo a thousand time. Not this photo, but this idea. They love to come home and unwind to watch a show on Netflix, but clearly have different tastes. But, they still want to be together. I love my little men. |
![]() |
| This also never gets old. I could stare at him sleeping all day. It's simply angelic. |


0 Comments