an ordinary, yet not so ordinary lunch.
The boys and I had another fun/chill afternoon running a few errands after work. Since we were nearby, we went to our "old" Target right next to our old condo. The boys got a kick out of being in our old neighborhood. "Heeeey! I remember this!!", they said with excitement! We stopped at the Target cafe for lunch {fancy, I know!} and we sat there forever just enjoying one another's company.
Part of the reason we stayed so long was because of an encounter I had with an elderly women in the cafe. While I was waiting for our food, getting drinks, and trying to get the boys settled at a table, the elderly woman slowly made her way over to us and said, "Three boys, huh? Enjoy it! I had three boys. That was a long time ago." I could almost see her replaying the memories in her mind. In that moment, I could totally place myself in her shoes - looking over at a young mom with three little boys and remembering the good ole days. There's no question in my mind why she took the time to remind me to not take it for granted. In a blink, I will be her, looking at another young mother from afar with her littles. It brings chills up my spine thinking about it even now, but that simple gesture made me smile and cherish the moment. It turned a simple lunch into a memory that will probably be etched in my mind forever. We laughed, we talked, we ate really unhealthy food and there were icees for all. Eli was a giant ketchup mess and eating his hotdog the absolute wrong way {from the middle, rather than from the ends}, both boys had crazy straws and got pure delight out of it, Jeremiah had a death grip on his icee and was smiling and in a sing song the whole time, there wasn't a care in the world or any reason to rush. We had no where to be, but there, together. It was great.
I love my boys and I loved our afternoon. Thank you, God, for a precious time together with no worries, no rush, and time to just enjoy together. Help me to find joy in even the simplest of things.
| Eli had this great idea for a photo. See, maybe I am rubbing off on them ;) |
| He was not about to let anyone take his icee. No, sir! |
| straw glasses! |
![]() |
| I snuck in to grab a photo of him sleeping. If you look closely, you can see where he busted his lip yesterday on the boy's bunk bed. Poor buddy. And below is a video of sweetness giggling! Love him. |
![]() |


0 Comments