the longest of days.

oh. what. a. day.

or, well, two days.  But, it's kind of all a blur at this point.

Yesterday began at 1:00 a.m. San Diego time, 3:00 a.m. Texas time.  I had to get up at that time in order to get myself ready, get the boys ready, finish packing and make a two and a half hour drive to the airport to catch our flight home.  Oh, and this was after having slept only hours in three days due to a sick baby.


Eli Jackson waiting at the airport. 
This was a moment of happiness.  You'll understand why I say "a moment"... just keep reading. 
Waiting at the airport.
He stole my breakfast. 
Row 5, Seats B, C, & D. 
Row 5, Seat A 
When we got to the airport, baby J checked out some display cases while we waited for our luggage.
Despite what baby J looks like in the above photos, this sick little babe has been acting out.  I asked Dusty yesterday after a couple of days of unusual behavior, "There is something really wrong with him, right?  Or, did he become an absolute terror overnight?"  We both kinda looked at each other and said, "I hope so", agreeing something had to be seriously wrong.  He was sick, I'll give him that {he had a slight fever, a cough and some congestion} but he was just acting crazy.  He wasn't a terror at all moments of the day, but was displaying unusual behaviors such as throwing himself on the ground, being hyper emotional and let's just say he bit me.. and Silas, on the airplane.  He was arching his back, screaming at the top of his lungs and just didn't know what he wanted.  He didn't want up.  He didn't want down.  He didn't want juice.  He didn't want food.  He didn't want anyone looking at him.  He didn't want a n y t h i n g.  Basically, stay clear.  Except, I couldn't really do that.  So, I stood in the airport trying not to care what anyone {everyone staring} around me thought.  They didn't know the facts and - just whatever - I didn't have to see any of these people again.  

We eventually made it home.  I unpacked, cleaned the house, went to the grocery store, worked out,


okay, you KNOW I worked out.  #always
made dinner, took the boys to the park to ride bikes,




hung out a bit and then went to put the baby to bed.  I was so exhausted by this point, and the only thing I wanted to do was crash.  What I didn't know is I was in for one of the looooongest nights of my life.  Upon entering his room, I quickly knew I would be with him all night.  He just wasn't having it.  He was tossing.  He was turning.  He was screaming.  He was arching.  He was standing up and throwing himself down.  He was banging his head on the headboard.  He was literally delusional and completely beside himself.  I gave him medicine.  I tried rocking him, but could barely hold him as he kept almost leaping out of my arms.  I tried letting him calm himself, while laying next to him.  Just nothing.  All the while, I was so tired my eyes hurt and I had moments where I wasn't sure I could possibly stay awake any longer.  When the sun finally rose, I stumbled to the bathroom to find the medicine... again.  He doesn't like taking medicine, so I typically lay him in my lap, put one hand behind his neck to hold his head in place and then give it as fast as I can through the syringe.  As I held his little head, I felt something.  I turned his head to the side and then I saw it.  Puss.  Thick, yellow, crazy amounts of puss.  And, I immediately knew what had happened.  

{I knew because the same thing happened to me recently and I thought I was going to die.  Horrible, excruciating pain.  The second worst pain I've ever felt, second to labor.}

I called Kaiser the moment the office opened {at 7:00 a.m.) and got an appointment for 8:30 a.m.  I took my little man to the doctor and was told what I already knew - his eardrum ruptured.  Now, if this has ever happened to you, you'll know - the rupture does not hurt.  It's the crazy amount of pressure that leads up to it that about kills you.  One night, not that long ago, I had a horrible ear infection - worse than I've ever had.  It was so bad that I was actually praying that my eardrum would rupture, because I had heard that it immediately relieves the pressure.  Finally, I heard a big burst, I felt it draining, and there was instantaneous relief.  The thought that my little J was in that much pain and had to be in an airplane for 3 hours on top of that, killed me!  SO sad.  The doctor gave us two antibiotics, one oral and a thing of drops, to help clear it up.  He said there was so much puss and blood back there, he wasn't sure if the ear tube was even still there, because he couldn't see anything!  Poor, poor baby.


At the doctor.  He was much happier at this point, post rupture.  He also loved this table and chair that was just his size. 
And who doesn't love checking themselves out in the mirror?  Especially if you are that cute. 
Picking up our prescriptions. 
Zapped in the car.  Poor boy.  I know I'm complaining that I haven't slept in four nights, but neither has he :(
That being said, he's feeling much better.  Here's hoping he has a good night of sleep, because he's had four reallllly bad nights.  Having a sick kid is the worst.  Not because it's inconvenient or imposes on your sleep, but because it simply breaks your heart.  To have your child in pain and not be able to do anything about it is heart wrenching.  Little experiences like this definitely makes me that much more thankful for healthy and happy kids.  

Annnnd, here's a few more photos of our bikes.  The boys got bikes from Mamaw and Papaw for Christmas and are in love.  Silas could not be more proud that he learned how to ride without training wheels and going to the park to ride is all they want to do!


Me, pushing the stroller
Silas, in front of me.
Eli, in the lead.

Oh, and you gotta love that view.  This park is right across from our house. 
Baby J wanted out of the stroller.  This child normally can go hours, but after about five minutes, he was crying for me to pick him up.  He enjoyed the fresh air, but is still clearly not up to his norm. 
I love this.  I was sitting on a bench and baby J started after his brothers.  I let him go to see what he'd do.  I snapped this and then went after him ;) 
Sometimes Eli gets tired, so he walks with his bike.
Makes sense, right?
Hehe... somehow I think riding takes less energy and is faster, but ya can't convince him of that ;)
I love this of Si.  He zoomed past me and I accidentally got this.
I love his focus. 
Here's baby J watching his brothers.  He adores them.
Oh, and how ginormous is my bag?  It looks bigger than the stroller.  Word!
It's my new Kelly Moore bag that I got for Christmas from Dusty.  It holds my camera, laptop, iPad, etc.  I gotta post a better photo because it is amazing!


Annnd, finally... I saved this for last.  You already saw it, but I did it in b&w becaaaaause, it has been requested by more than one individual that I bring back - you got it - photo of the day.
{as if I'm not busy enough}
Oh well, why not? 
I love what it captures.
This is my life, you guys, and it's beautiful.



0 Comments