24 Hours. Take 2.

I said it Saturday, I'll say it again - What a night!


From now on, I'm keeping my big mouth shut.  I was just saying that I don't get the stomach flu.  I don't.  I haven't thrown up since second grade -- add it up, that's 22 years.  I always thought I'd know if I were pregnant, because then I would surely throw up.  But, nope, I made it safely through both pregnancies without morning sickness.  I mentioned to Dusty a few days ago that I was really only concerned about Silas catching what Eli had, because I sure wouldn't.  I'm basically immune to stomach bugs.


Wrong.


So last night, Silas went to bed pretty whiny.  He kept saying he was sick, but couldn't clarify beyond that.  "Silas, what feels sick?"  "I don't know.  I just don't know.  I can't really explain it, Mom."  Somehow, I knew - because I was feeling the exact same way.


About 30 minutes after he fell asleep, I heard a scream.  I picked him up and darted to the bathroom because I knew he was going to explode at any minute.  He was screaming, "I'm gonna be sick.  I'm sick.  I'm sick."  I took one look at his eyes and knew he was having a night terror.  This was out of character, because typically he'll be screaming, "MOMMY.  MOM.  MOMMY" in a panic, amidst tons of gibberish, screaming and wailing.  If you've never seen a night terror - it is just that - terrifying.  You get used to it to a degree, but it is really bizarre, especially since their eyes are open, blankly staring at you, while being completely asleep.


Anyhow, I had a bad feeling about what was to come.  Once he came to, I laid him back in bed and curled up next to him as he fell back to sleep.  Sure enough, just as he was re-entering his little dream world, I heard him gag.  And....spew.  All over himself, the bed, me, the pillow, etc.  I jumped up and ran to the bathroom, now wishing I hadn't.  I should've just let him get it all out there because I created a huge trail all the way to the bathroom.  Ugh.  Sick.  All the while, I'm was still feeling really queasy.  I'll agree with Silas - I'm not sure quite how to explain it, but it didn't feel good - that's for sure.


Dusty dealt with Silas while I cleaned and felt increasingly worse by the second.  I moved a sleeping Eli to my bed, since I had to wash the comforter and sheets and clean the carpet.  I had a very. bad. feeling.  


Silas was such a little trooper, eventually getting the hang of throwing up every half hour.  I was still miserable, just wanting to get it over with, thinking anything could be better than what I was currently feeling.  Finally, it happened.  After 22 years, I threw up.  


Two words - not fun.  


When I was done, I went and crashed on the floor with Silas, on the sleeping bag I had set up.  He assured me, "It's okay, Mom.  The worst is over." as he patted my back.  Seriously, what a kind-hearted kid.


A bit later I heard Eli wake up crying, "MOM.  Where are you???  MOM!!!???"  He came in the room to find me and said, "Hey Mom, it's Eli.  You were missing me."  This is kind of our thing.  Every morning when he wakes up and searches the house to find me, I tell him, "There's my Eli.  I was missing you!!"  So, I found it funny that he assumed I was missing him.  Sweet boy.  He was full of questions in the middle of the night.  "Mommy.  What you do?  Why you on the floor?  Why I in your bed?"  

"Remember when you were really sick and spit everywhere?  Well, Mommy and Silas are sick.  I took you to Mommy's bed because I had to clean your bed."

"Oh.  I gotta check that out.", he said, as he stood up and inspected the bed.


"Hmmm.  Silas made A MESS.  He sick.  He so sick.  He spit all over my bed."  


"Mommy is really sick."


"Do you have a bug in your mouth??"


Well, who couldn't use a little humor in the midst of all of it.?  Eli is always one to make us laugh and brighten any situation.


All that to say, it was a LONG night - but we made it.  Needless to say, we're hanging out at home today, just resting.  Sometimes it's good to have perspective because then you can relate to how someone else is feeling.  Honestly, I had no idea a stomach bug could feel this bad.  Now, I get it and am thankful the worst is over.  



Dusty took this sometime during the night.

0 Comments