friday five

I know I totally stole this idea.  {guilty}

It was something I saw on another blog {somewhere}.  And well, I thought it would be fun.  So, here goes the Friday Five

Life as a mom of three and a family of five is definitely different.  Obviously, there are moments that are challenging, but for the most part I think we've taken it in stride.  It's not overwhelming or too difficult.  Probably the toughest parts of my day are getting everyone out the door and loaded in/out of the car.  Other than that, I feel like we've got a good thing going.

Obviously, though we're one family, each person makes up a part.  I thought it'd be fun to give little updates on what's going on with everyone.  So without further ado, let's begin...

Dusty:  Life is in full gear.  Not only have classes started back up at Christian High, but he's taking on another class beginning next week {freshman bible}.  This will definitely add more to his plate due to not having taught it before {he teaches all video classes} and a little more prep time and grading.  But, I think he's up for the challenge!  

We all know it's the fall - which means football season.  Since D videos the games for The Bishops's School, that will begin to occupy either Friday and/or Saturday nights, depending if they're scouting games as well.  Luckily, the bulk of his Master's Program is complete and there's only a bit to finish up. Hurray.  This fall will definitely be less chaotic than last fall as he was doing all of the above, plus full gear into his Master's and renovating a house.  Whew!  It's amazing we survived last year.

Melissa:  I am also adjusting to my new schedule, but am loving it.  I find the earlier I get up, the more productive I am.  I also thrive on a routine.  This past week of Silas and me being sick has definitely thrown a loop into things, but I'm ready for the weekend and a new week!

Along with our staff at Bonita Road, I have been reading The Story {by Randy Frazee & Max Lucado}.  Have you heard of it?  Basically, it's a condensed version of the Bible, that reads like a story.  At first, I didn't get what it was going to be.  Why not just read the Bible?  However, I have found it to be amazing.  The characters seem more relatable - I see the bigger picture more easily.  There's also videos that go along with each chapter {there's 31 chapters total}.  I think so often we take the Bible in bits and pieces.  We read a passage here and there, but often fail to see the over encompassing story that is God's story.  The authors do an amazing job of showing how our story {referred to as the lower story} fits into God's story {the upper story}.  God's Word is real.  It isn't just a book that we read - rather, we fit into the whole of the story and God's ultimate plan and purpose.... and it's beautiful.  I'm sure I'm doing an awful job of explaining it {descriptions are not my forte!} but I encourage you to check it out.  


Other than that, I'm attempting to manage a household, run errands, work and feed a beautiful baby every three hours.  

Silas:  This kid is great.  He started back to school just last week and is definitely adjusting to getting back in gear as well.  He has his first loose tooth {two actually!} and is super pumped about that.  The great thing is he isn't afraid and jiggles it throughout the day here and there.  We're anticipating our first visit from the good ole tooth fairy.  Oh to be a kid again.  

He really, really, really wants a guitar.  Just ask him.  He will tell ya.  Since our trip to the $.99 store last weekend, after picking up an orange, rinky dink, plastic guitar - he now aspires to be a guitar player.  He and Dusty got on Amazon and did a search.  While scrolling, he saw one for $14.99 that read, "Great gift for kids".  I'm sure a $15 guitar couldn't be much better than a $1.00 guitar :)  As with many things, I keep telling him, "maybe for Christmas".


Just a sweet side note - he came into my room last night while I was laying on my death bed and said, "Mom, are you feeling better?  I will pray for you tonight, okay?"  The first thing he did this morning was asked how I was feeling.  He is such a caring little soul.

Eli: You guys, I cannot say, "Eli" without laughing.  As Silas says, "Eli is the king of funny."  I don't know what to tell you about him.  Dusty and I ask ourselves every single day where this kid came from.  He is THE best.  He is now a big Shining Star at school.  He wants to be a green samurai power ranger for Halloween.  Okay, okay, well actually, 

"Maybe I could have more than one costume.  I could be a power ranger, captain america, a bakugan... I like all of those things.  Yeah, that's good, Mom.  That's what I pick."  

"Sorry, bud.  You have to pick one."

"Ohhh.  Ummmm.  Hmmmm.  {tapping finger on chin} Yeeeaaaah....I pick them all."  

Kid.  I love you.

He is also obsessed, no I really mean obsessed, with Beyblades.  Don't know what they are?  Well, how unfortunate.  If you are a mom of boys - go get some.  They are hours of entertainment.


Jeremiah:  Oh, bug.  That's what we call him - "Bug".  What to say about him other than he's great?  He is totally coming into his little personality and I love it.  I could eat up his smiles all day long.  This morning he woke up and was just laying there smiling away, without a care in the world.  No one was talking to him, he was just happy.  We like happy.  The colic has been hard.  Happy is waaaay better.

Bug is huge.  Huge, I say.  The doctor was concerned at his 3 day check-up because he had lost an entire pound and then at his 2 week appointment he had only gained a few ounces from that.  I don't know what kicked in, but he's getting his nourishment, that's for sure.  I've never seen hams so chunky.    Oh, and he doesn't have ankles ... or wrists ... or a waistline.  Of course, I love every ounce of him and could literally just eat him up {didn't I already say that?!}.  His big brothers think he is the greatest thing on the face of the planet.  I think he knows he's got us all eating out of the palms of his hands.  He  flashes me that adoring look and that ear to ear smile and I am butter.  



And that, my friends, is the first edition of the Friday Five.  I love our family of FIVE!

0 Comments