school auction and "how to know you're over being pregnant"

hiccup.  


hiccup.  


hiccup, hiccup, hiccup.


I'm sitting here on the couch doing my nightly kick counts - I guess that counts as "movement"?  


Seriously, pregnancy is the strangest thing ever.  But more on that in a minute.


First, I have to tell you about our school auction.  Sooo, ever since Silas has been in Kindergarten, things have been different.  The teachers build everything up - and I do mean everything.  I didn't think he even knew what the auction was - and then he came running up to me after school one day, "Mommy!  Mommy!  Mommy!  I need you to bid on Grammy.  The one who bids the MOST gets to go eat lunch with the Principal at SEAWORLD!  Can you believe it?  SEAWORLD, Mom!  Lunch.  With Grammy.  At Seaworld!"


Great.  Just great.  My plan was to fail to mention that bid.  Lovely.


Then, it got even better.  The day before the auction, Silas ran up to me enthusiastically, "Mom!  You are NOT going to believe it.  I HAVE to show you something."  


He took me to his teacher who proceeded to show me some framed art that the boys had done during Art Class that was apparently going to be in the auction.  "Oh Mom.  I sure do hope you win my art."


Okay, how could I NOT get their art??


The last thing I wanted to do on Friday night after working ALL day was go to the school auction.  It's not that I didn't want to participate - I definitely bought some raffle tickets and contributed - I'm just tired.  


Luckily, the afternoon of the auction, I managed to make an under the table deal.  I asked the person in charge, "What could I pay you right now to buy the boy's art?  I can't NOT get it!  Please.  I'll do ANYthing."  When Silas got out of school I told him the BIG news.  "Silas.  You are NOT going to believe it.  I WON your art!!  High five!"



He didn't know any differently, was tickled pink, and I got out of driving all the way back to school that evening when all I really wanted to do is lay in my bed.  


The best news for Silas was he actually WON something at the auction that night.  Grammy called us after the auction to let us know that Silas won a basket {she had given him some tickets to put in whatever raffle drawings he wanted}.  He was thrilled to death.  It was hilarious.  My father-in-law kept joking about the Christmas Story where the guy won the leg lamp -- it didn't matter what it was, just that he won something.  You couldn't have deflated his excitement for anything.  He won a baking basket of all things - full of white chocolate, cake mix, cake pop pans and all the stuff to make them, etc.  So ALL he wanted to do the next day was  - you guessed it - make cake pops.  




After church on Sunday, I had to indulge him and make a multitude of cake pops that we could never ever finish!  But, he had a blast "claiming his prize" and decorating his cake pops.  He also discovered that cake batter is "De-licious".   I just love that kid.


Back to pregnancy.  I don't know how this baby is laying at the moment, but my stomach looks deformed.  It looks like he's sideways except I know that he's already head down.  I often wonder {about a hundred times a day} what the heck he's doing in there.  I wonder how many times he can possibly move or kick in a span of a couple of hours.  He's a ball full of energy, that's for sure.


So, I decided to make another list. 


"How to Know When You're OVER Being Pregnant"...




1.)  When you're so sick of the taste of Tums that you can barely chew them anymore.


2.)  When it would be impossible to count the number of times you've been to the bathroom in one day - make that one hour.


3.)  When your ribs have become punching bags and you basically have to sit half reclined in your office chair all day.


4.)  When you're at Target trying on a pair of pants and your kid tells you, "Umm, Mom.  I'm not so sure those are going to work.  Maybe AFTER the baby comes and your belly shrinks."


5.)  When eating becomes a chore.  Nothing sounds good, you've basically lost your appetite but have to eat to nourish the baby.  One meal a day suits you just fine.


6.)  This is specific for me, because of my normal eating habits -- I've given up all shame.  
When you ARE actually hungry and your husband takes you on a lunch date to Wienerschnitzel for a lunch of corn dogs and chili cheese fries.  {Ha, he did ask me if I enjoyed it.  I said, "Yes, but that's my first and my last time.  There's no way I'd eat like that not pregnant."} Seriously, a one time indulgence for sure!


7.)  When the only thing that sounded mildly appetizing for lunch today was a pretzel. So, I drove to Target of all places for lunch.  I got a pretzel and the guy asked me, "Would you like any cheese with that?"  I thought long and hard for a moment.  "Oh.  Sure.  Why not?"  


8.)  When you would pay any amount of money to sleep on your stomach.


9.)  When everything other than laying down becomes a chore - standing up, walking, bending over to pick something up, getting dressed, etc.  Completing the simplest of tasks feels like completing a marathon - and this is coming from someone who was definitely in shape prior to pregnancy!!  Also, you can't do any of the above mentioned normal activities without having Braxton Hicks.


10.)  When 7:00 p.m. is a completely reasonable bed-time {which also happens to be your kid's bed-time.}


"How to Know You Have the Sweetest Kids in the Entire World When You're Pregnant"


1.)  When you've exhausted yourself for days on end trying to find a dress for Mother's Tea.  The one time they're with you, you try on a dress and they proclaim, "WOW.  Mom.  You. are. BEAUTIFUL!  That is the PERFECT dress for Mother's Tea.  You look amazing."  


After that - you realize you can do ANYTHING for 4 1/2 more weeks - especially with these two love bugs at your side :)




1 Comments

  1. You are beautiful and doubly blessed with those sweet boys!

    ReplyDelete