cookie party.

Tonight's the big night, folks.  The cookie party.  


For those of you that don't remember, let me give you a brief rundown.


It's a cookie exchange.  Dusty's family {aunts, mom, grandma & friends} started this year's ago.  I know cookie exchange parties are very common these days, but this was way back when.  I don't remember the full story, but somehow it turned into a competition.  Then... it got serious.  They made capes and crowns for the winners.  There are three categories: 1.) Best packaging  2.) Prettiest cookie and the ultimate 3.) Best tasting {cookie queen}.  Okay, -- the capes and titles are just for fun.  I'm probably the only one that takes it way more serious than it really is.


I'm super competitive {about stupid things, in a funny sort of way}.  As soon as I heard about said party from Dusty before we got married, I immediately knew I wanted to win.  I had to win.  I would win {one day}.  Three years ago was the first chance I had to enter the competition {due to being in Chicago, being out of town on the party day, etc.}  


It was what I had been waiting for... dreaming of {okay, not really!}  At first I wanted to go big and attempt to win all three categories -- a clean sweep! {this has never been done}.  I realized this was impossible.  To have the best tasting cookie, it's unlikely it will also be the prettiest.  The pretty cookies are mostly decorated cookies and if a sugar cookie is good enough to win the cookie competition, then there probably aren't any good cookies there -- just saying.  I could either go for best packaging and prettiest, or best packaging and best tasting.  No question.  Best tasting.  I wanted to be crowned the queen.


Long story short, the first year I entered, I won!!  That year was the "Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie."  Yeah, I was over ambitious.  Rather than having to make 12 dozen cookies, I had to make 24 dozen since it was a sandwich and THEN fill them.  Why do I do this to myself?


So, in 2008 I won best tasting & best packaging.  My packaging took me forever that year!!  I got 24 of the small pringle's cans, cut paper to match the exact size, made 24 white handprints of Eli's hands {6 months old at that point.  yeah... that was a bear!!} and made Santa faces out of his handprint, complete with a little hat with cotton on the rim and tip.  I wish I had a photo because it was too adorable.  I wrote an oh so cute poem to go along with it and attached it with ribbon.  Precious.


After that experience, I decided the packaging took too much time and money to bother with.  So, the next two years I just had in my mind to win best tasting.  So, here's the rundown.


2008 - Best Packaging, Best Tasting - Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie
2009 - Best Tasting - Red Velvet Sandwich Cookie
2010 - Best Tasting - Lemon Sandwich Cookie 


This year, I was oh so close to not making cookies.  It was the day before the big competition, it was raining and I hadn't bought any ingredients or made a final decision on a cookie, I'm pregnant {my big excuse for everything right about now} and I didn't want to spend all day baking.  But, Dusty convinced me to do it.  I had to do my staple Sandwich Cookie {of course}, so it was just a matter of what kind to do?


I finally came up with the idea of doing a Carrot Cake Cookie.  You heard that right.  Dreamy Carrot Cream Pies, I call them.  Two deliciously moist carrot cake cookies {complete with raisons and walnuts} with a scrumptious cream cheese frosting sandwiched in between.  Divine.






I also planned to package them in ziploc bags {perfect for freezing anyway, as everyone comes home with 12 dozen cookies & likely freezes some}.  But today, I had a vision.  I came up with a cute label, decided on brown paper bags and added a green, polka dotted ribbon.  Cute!  I decided to go with more of a carrot theme than a Christmassy theme because I don't' want there to be any doubts which cookie goes with which packaging.  I don't know if it's a winner, but I'm very happy how they turned out!





Here's hoping for a Fourpeat!  Wish me luck :)



2 Comments

  1. So did you win this year?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. update on the party:

    well, the reign had to end sometime, right? There was an unusual amount of really good cookies this year. So, the vote was pretty divided. All that to say, I did not win {but heard from a reliable source I had a lot of votes}. Sad day. I'm gonna have to come back full force next year!

    the winner, Aly, won with a Snicker doodle cookie loaded with white chocolate. It was a surprising, delicious twist on a well known cookie!

    ReplyDelete