The Kind of Mess You DON'T Want to Clean
Bath-time.
Lots of splashing. Laughter. Bubbles. Sharks. Squirting fish. Boats. Dinosaurs. Monster Trucks. Poop.
Okay, okay. The poop happened once, but holy moly - was it ever a mess!
The boys were happily playing and splashing while I was getting ready in the bathroom. Suddenly, I heard Eli scream. I looked over at him and he had a look of absolute horror. At first, all I saw was his hands next to his bottom and him crying, "Oh no. Oh no. I poo poo. I poo poo."
I was not alarmed because I saw nothing and let's face it, he says "poo poo" when he means "pee pee". No matter how many times I correct him telling him that he did not poop, but peed - he just doesn't get it. So, sadly "pee pee" is "poo poo" and "poo poo" is "poo poo balls." Yeah. Proud mom right here. "Hey mom! I poo poo balls in the water." {Here's where I put my head down in complete embarrassment.} That's my Eli.
So back to the bath-time poop. Again, I assumed he peed in the bath. And then (dramatic pause) he lifted his hands. Poop. Everywhere. Wet Poop. Dripping. Screaming. Horror.
It was at this point that I picked him up to put him on the potty that I saw a huge mound of poop smeared on the bottom of the tub. It was at this point that Silas noticed what was going on - while still sitting in the other side of the tub. He screamed with each word escalating louder than the previous, "I don't THINK I LIKE THIS. AHHHHHHHHHH. GET ME OUT!"
Meanwhile, Eli was frantic. He was heart broken and he was so embarrassed. My heart was breaking for him, because he was so ashamed. "Mommy, I sowwy. I sowwy. I no poo poo in bath, I poo poo in potty. {sob, sob, sob}"
In the past few weeks while potty training Eli, my heart has absolutely broken several times. He hasn't had all that many accidents, but most of them have been at school. One day I was called to his classroom and he was in the bathroom crying so hard he was shaking. He said, "I sowwy Mom, I sowwy. I go home. I cannot go to class. I go to your office. I need you." There's no feeling in the world like that of your heart broken and embarrassed child. I lovingly assured him it was okay and was just an accident. It took awhile for him to recover as I took him to my office and gave him a fresh change of clothes. It was genuinely awful.
The bath tub scenario was the exact same as the school incident in terms of shame. All I could do was try to comfort him while cleaning the smeared poop from his hands, legs, bottom, etc. The worst part was him standing there crying the whole time I cleaned up the bathroom with Silas angry at him that he ruined their bath. I couldn't adequately clean him up until I got the bath tub clean. This meant I had to drain the water, rid the tub of said poop, clean the tub and then run a fresh bath of water.
I really don't know how it happened the way it did, but it was EVERYWHERE. Stuck on the bath mat. In between the two glass doors - (he really got me on that one??)! On the floor. On the toilet. On Eli. What a mess! I told Dusty it was one of those situations where I wanted to take a picture just so I could show him the scene of the crime, as there is no way to give an accurate description of the mess. But, I couldn't bring myself to do that.
Had this happened prior to the potty training, I don't think it would have bothered him so much. Now that he knows he is supposed to go in the potty and not in his big boy pants, he takes it very seriously. Even if he toots, he freaks out. Poor guy. The good thing is, he is coming along wonderfully. He is even getting the hang of pulling his pants up and down, getting on and off the potty all by himself and wiping his bottom. I love my sweet boy - poop and all.
But maybe, just maybe, I deserve a medal for that one. At least a pooper scooper - just in case.
![]() |
| "Rooooaaaarrr!" |
![]() |
| Dinosaurs in the Bath |
![]() |
| Flying Shark |
![]() |
| Sometimes lines are crossed. |
![]() |
| But mostly they love each other. |
![]() |
| My Eli bear |






1 Comments
This just happened to me last week.
ReplyDeleteIt was the worst.
THE WORST.
I don't know why I can clean poop off a diaper without gagging but not out of a tub.
WORST!