[snif], [snif]

Sniff
[snif]

–verb 
1. to draw air through the nose in short, audible inhalations.
2. to clear the nose by so doing; sniffle.
3. to smell by short inhalations.
4. to show disdain, contempt, etc., by or as by sniffing.


Sniff.  What a peculiar little word.  I never really thought so until I added it onto the end of my name.  I also never knew how impossible it would be to explain.  I always wondered why, while on the phone, Dusty would spell his name for people.  I'd hear him say, "S, N as in Nancy, I, F, F as in Frank.  No, No.  Not Smith.  Sniff.  S, N as in Nancy, I, F, F as in Frank.  You know, like sniffing a flower."  


It's the same story every time.  I can't tell you how many times I've had to spell my name only to have to repeat it again and again.  No, I am not Melissa Smith, Melissa Sniss or Melissa Snitt.  What I learned is people don't really listen when I'm spelling it.  They initially hear "Smith" and ignore the words that are coming out of my mouth.  Honestly, I never would have thought Huckabee would have been so much easier.  I was wrong, indeed.  Although, it helps now that everyone knows the name.  Thanks, Mike.


All that being said, that's not why I'm sniffling today.  I probably sound like a broken record, but saying "goodbye" never gets any easier.  My dad has been in town all week and I just can't help but feeling down today, as he's back to the airport.  It's always the same story.  It's like a heavy weight on my heart and I always force back the tears.  We'll drop him off at the airport, only to come home to an empty house, the bathroom still lingering with the scent of his cologne.  The boys will be whining for a few days, Eli not understanding.  Silas will explain to Eli, having figured out this whole process by now, "It's okay Eli.  Papaw had to go home to Texas, but we will see him soon."  {Sigh.  Sniff, sniff.}  It never gets any easier.  There's the high of seeing my family and then the low of leaving.  I. hate. it.  Conveniently the weather corresponds with my mood.  Cloudy with rain.


There has also been a ton of sniffing at my house this week.  What fun and exciting things have my dad and I done this week?  We have taken care of two very sick little boys.  We had big plans to take the boys fishing, go on squirrel hunts, enjoy our afternoon walks at Lake Murray, I wanted to get some photos of the boys with my dad, we talked of taking the boys to play putt putt...  Nada.  Instead, we constantly wiped two runny noses and nursed high fevers.  But, there was lots of snuggling and tlc.  The nice thing about sick boys is they seek love.  Lots of love.  In all their pathetic-ness, they just needed someone to hold them and tell them they would feel better.


I'm not sure who won the award for being more pathetic.  It began with Silas, who suddenly began telling me, "Momma, I am so sick.  I need to rest."  He grabbed a blanket and curled up on the couch basically all day for two days.  He had no energy and a temperature that went as high as 103.  Two days later, Eli followed suit.  "Momma, I sick.  I need medicine."  He also took his place curled up on the couch.  My boys have never been sick enough that they laid on the couch all day.  This was something entirely new to me, which made it oh so heartbreaking.  I am glad we have turned the corner.  I don't want any more "sick weeks" anytime soon.  In the end, I am thankful my dad was here because it made things easier on me.  My dad was a distraction.  Had the three of us been cooped up all week, the one that was not sick at the time would have been going berserk.  Silas was sick Sunday night through Wednesday and Eli from Wednesday on.  I guess all the birthday festivities did them in.  Dusty is not feeling well today and I had a brief spout of it - but downing Dayquil every few hours did the trick!  So, the question is - will my Dad bring the sniffles home with him?  Time will tell if Si and E send their "love" home to Mamaw.  Your little Sniffles missed you, Mamaw.


Sniff
[snif]

1. a last name.
2. a sound made from crying, a.k.a. sniffling.
3. to clear the nose, sniffling from your pathetic case of the flu.
4. what you get when you're last name is Sniff and you have kids - Sniffles.


We took this right before heading to the airport.  Photo shoots are out of the question with sick boys.  This is the best we could do to document this trip. 
It all started with this. 
Sick eyes. 
A sick nap. 
holding hands.  love. 
and then it hit E. 

First food in a couple days. 

sweet boy. 
resting together. 
sick boy in a cool bath. 

sick eyes.

The following two photos require a story.  I. hate. Transformers.  They're basically impossible and when the pieces break off, you have no idea where they go.  Then, you have two crying kids, begging you to re-assemble the silly things.  Not to mention, they're not too friendly on the wallet.  You might as well buy your kid a Rubik's cube or a 10,000 piece puzzle and expect them to thank you.  

Anyway, after watching my now five year old sit on the couch and perfectly assemble his Transformer back into a car, I was determined to complete the task.  With a little practice and patience, I am now a master of Transformers.  

Don't challenge me.  I am very competitive.  So there, 5 year old.  I can do it too! 
Bumblebee before. 
Bumblebee after.

0 Comments