A Christmas Story

Christmas.  A whirlwind of festivities.  Now, something of a blur.  I don't even know where to begin.  Here's the extremely condensed version of our Christmas...


Christmas Eve, Eve.  Knowing that Christmas Eve would be crazy busy, we decided to let our boys open their gifts from us, or well, Santa.  I had intended that these gifts be from us, however, Silas determined that Santa brought them for him and Eli.  To explain, I put up our Christmas tree a few days before Thanksgiving.  My mom was in town and I figured it would be easy to get this done with her there to help entertain the boys.  It had been a long day including the Thanksgiving Feast at school and Silas was out like a light.  During the time he was napping, I managed to get the tree put together and decorated, as well as wrap their gifts.  We don't have much closet space so I didn't want Silas or Eli to find their gifts, so I wrapped them asap.  When Silas awoke from his nap, he believed and concluded that Santa had already come.  I didn't have the heart to tell him the contrary.


Eli was in quite the mood and did not want to open his gift.  I knew as soon as Silas opened his, Eli would want to join in on the fun and we weren't about to let him ruin it for Silas.  There is no way to tell the story giving it any amount of justice, because you simply had to be there.  It is simply not possible to describe Silas' excitement.  "Wow!  This is sooo AWESOME.  This is p.e.r.f.e.c.t.  This is exactly what I never knew I wanted.  Mommy, Santa must really love me.  Please call him and tell him how much I love it.  I am so happy."  He was literally beaming.  The cutest thing was his undescribable excitement about the fact that Santa loved him.  He had to, otherwise, he wouldn't have gotten the most amazing gift in the world.  It was a very large remote controlled Monster Truck Mator.  The boys love, love, love Cars Toons and this is one of the characters.  No doubt, Eli suddenly perked up and changed his attitude, wanting to see just what was in store for him.  To his joy, he got a Frightening McMean remote controlled car.  The remainder of the night consisted of them racing their cars through the condo, all the while, Silas randomly expressed his joy over Santa's love for him.  He is right though - "Santa" does indeed really love him.







Pouting on Christmas Eve while everyone else was opening presents.


Christmas morning.


Christmas Eve.  Basically, we opened a bazillion presents, saw lots of family and ate a ton of food.  For the first round of gifts, again, Eli was being such a little stinker.  I'm not sure what his aversion was to opening presents, but he wanted nothing to do with it.  He stood in the corner and pouted.  Granted, he had been sick for a couple days and wasn't quite himself.  I was sad he felt bad and wasn't really into it -  but, by the end of the day he came around, chanting "Presents!!" every time he saw a new gift.  By the end of the night, we could not see through the back window of our Mazda CX9.  Some of the gifts included: Two giant robots, a large talking Iron Man, more CarsToons characters, Nerf guns, a scooter, a kid's digital camera, shoes, clothes, gift cards, movie tickets, a camping trip, Disneyland Annual Passports, money, etc. etc.  Craziness.  We arrived home that night around 9:30 p.m. with more stuff than we knew what to do with and now needing to pack our bags for Texas, to be at the airport at 5:00 a.m.  


Christmas Day.  2:00 a.m. - Eli woke up.  For whatever reason, he was wide awake and I knew I may as well get up, seeing that'd I'd have to in half an hour anyway.  So, I did.  I worked out, got ready, finished packing and got the boys dressed and ready to go.  At 4:30 a.m. we left for the airport.  It was quite the day.  By the time we actually made it to Tyler, we were all exhausted.  The boys were amazingly well behaved and I couldn't have asked for a better scenario.  After checking in, making it through security without having to go through the body scan, waiting to board, a 3 hour flight, a 3 1/2 hour layover in Houston, another hour flight, waiting on our luggage and a 20 minute ride to my parents house, it was time for another Christmas.  This was the first time since being married that I've been home for Christmas Day.  I'm not sure who was more excited - me, my parents, or the boys.  Practically the only thing my boys had been talking about for weeks was going to Papaw and Mamaw's house and going up, up, up on the airplane.   


Since being here the boys have had a blast, playing with lots of new toys, riding Papaw's 4 Wheeler, learning to shoot a BB Gun, going to Chuck E Cheese, getting a Buzz Lightyear Spaceship Tent and getting spoiled with all the attention.  Below are some photos from Christmas and our trip so far.








Houston airport - our layover.



Photo from Silas' new camera 
Photo from Silas' new camera
Photo from Silas' new camera 
 



Happy Birthday, Jesus! 


You'll shoot your eye out! 
Checking his target





Playing in the leaves.  Grr for the smudge on the lens!






Cousins on the 4 Wheeler (Eli was napping)


And by the way, Happy New Year.  Pathetic I'm just blogging about Christmas, I know.  Any other time I'd probably be writing my thoughts about the New Year and some deep thoughts I have regarding starting fresh, a new outlook/perspective and all the exciting things to come in the next year.  But due to a momentary lack of motivation, way too many distractions and important things to do like needing to run by Target, "Happy New Year" simply must suffice.  Oh, and don't forget to eat your cabbage and black eyed peas.  

1 Comments

  1. I read this earlier but didn't get the chance to comment.

    I can't wait until Sawyer gets that excited about Santa, he cared less this year than last which was crazy to me!

    As usual, your boys are ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete