A Different Kind of Chicken... and a New Workout

Kids do say the darndest things.  

Last night we went to dinner at Grammy’s house.  As we were leaving, Papa gave Eli a chocolate Santa, much to his excitement.  Silas had that look kind of like, “Well what do you have for me?”  He needed something, but of course he does not like chocolate.  Grammy to the rescue.  She went into the pantry to find just the right thing for our quirky little Silas.  He came out with a huge grin and some sort of plain jane cookie in hand, of which I do not know the name.  The cookie came with rave reviews.  It was DE-licious, according to Si.  

As we were loading into the car and buckling our seat belts, Silas proclaimed, “Momma, I have a GREAT idea!!”  Mind you, he is full of great ideas.  I hear this statement no short of 50 times a day.  “You can buy me some of these cookies, just like Grammy’s.  You can pack them in my lunch box.  When my teacher asks me what it is, I cannot say cookies because she will say, ‘Silas, noooooo cookies.’  I will have to say, ‘It’s, uhhhhhh, a different kind of chicken.’”


“Isn’t that a GREAT idea, mom?”  

Shamefully, I burst out laughing, failing to mention that that would in fact be a lie.  Clever kid, bad mometary lapse in my parenting skills.  

I love the things that come out of his mouth.  Eli, too.  I also love the way in which they speak.  Silas pronounces his “L’s” as “W’s” - For example, Siwas, Ewi.  If I correct him saying, “No, it’s Eli, not Ewi.”  he quickly responds,  “Right mom, Ewi.”  He can hear the difference when I say it, but not when he does.  He also mixes up some words such as “noice” instead of “voice” , “pasghetti” instead of “spaghetti”, “fuge” instead of “huge”.  “Wow, momma.  That’s is sooo fuge!”  “Why yes, yes it is, Silas.”  I can’t help but just smile.   All too soon these days will pass.

Then there’s Eli on the way to school this morning pleading, “Momma, I need chocolate and coffee.”  By coffee, he means hot chocolate and I’m only assuming he’s requesting the chocolate remembering the delectable chocolate Santa he devoured last night.  “Sorry Eli, not for breakfast, bud.”  “Yes, you do.  I need chocolate and coffee.”  {Sigh} Kid, where did you come from?  Since we’ve been back from our trip he also keeps insisting, “Momma, I go for Texas.”  “No, Eli.  We are going to school.  Besides, we don’t have a ticket.”  “Yes, I do have a ticket.  I NOT for school.  I FOR Texas.”  





On a completely different note, I began a new workout today.  Do you want to know what it’s called?  Insanity.  Let me a assure you, it lives up to it’s name.

I didn’t really begin working out until college.  I took a jogging class and that’s what inspired me to begin running.  At some point I took a weight lifting class and that inspired my circuit training.  I’ve done a variety of things including Taebo, Jackie Warner, pilates, my own weight training in the gym, the treadmill or elliptical machine, etc.  My typical daily regimen is waking up at 5:00 a.m. and doing anywhere from a 20 - 40 minute workout that is either cardio or circuit training.  After work I generally run 2-3 miles and on the weekends run between 3-5 miles.  

Anytime I begin something new, I’m a bit skeptical, not because I don’t believe it works, but more so on the end of what makes this workout so great?  Like P90x.  I had heard so much about this.  So, I did a couple of the workouts.  I am sorry to say that I didn’t make it far, because the guy on the video is the most obnoxious guy in the world.  The last thing I want when I’m working out is to have the desire to throw my weights at the tv to get him to shut up.   Jay told me I could turn off the sound, but I really don’t think I should have to - plus, I like listening to the instructions.  I seriously couldn’t take it, so I went back to my well trusted Billy Blanks and Jackie Warner.  But then I heard about Insanity.  I watched a few online videos and was impressed.  This morning, I woke up at 5:00 a.m. and turned on the first workout.  There are no words.  It is definitely titled correctly, as it is INSANE.  And, the best part is I can’t wait to get up and do tomorrow’s workout.  I also don’t want to punch the tv.   I wanted to lay on the floor and cry when I was done - kidding, sort of - but it was a-mazing!  I highly recommend it.  The best part is, where P90x is a 90 day workout consisting of mostly 60-90 min workouts, this is 60 days and most of the workouts are only 40 minutes.  I’ve read a lot of reviews and from what I can tell, people like it better than P90x, so we’ll see.  Obviously everything is preference.  

I’ll keep you posted on what I think.  But my initial thoughts are that I’m overly impressed.  You should try it.  Seriously.

Well done, Insanity.  Well done.




0 Comments