An Apple a Day...

7 1/2 years ago I met Dusty. 7 1/2 years ago, I became an Apple fanatic. It has drastically changed everything I do - from my job, my hobbies, my way of life, etc. You think that sounds a little over the top? Well, let me explain.



I only use Apple products and software at home and at work. I pretty much live on my computer at work, and for everything I do there, I use Pages, Keynote or iWeb. I briefly used a PC recently and I almost threw it across the room. I was literally raging inside at how stupid it and it's software was. I thought to myself, "How to people work like this? They have no idea how much easier their life would be with a Mac." Don't get me wrong, I'm not a snob. If someone prefers a PC, that's perfectly acceptable for them - I just can't function on one. I mean, maybe you could go as far as to say that I'm the stupid one because I can't get around on a PC anymore. Things are way more complicated on a PC than on my Mac, which is completely user friendly. Let me interject for a moment - please keep in mind I am expressing my opinion and not stating this as fact, as I have no intentions of offending anyone. I am simply a very enthusiastic Mac user.



To further illustrate how Apple is my best friend, I edit all my photos on Aperture. I love everything about Aperture. I have explored other programs, but why go further when it does everything I need and want it to do? I spend a lot of time editing, so I obviously need something that I can work with easily without a lot of headaches. Hold on a minute. Did I even list what Apple products we currently have in our household? We have the Macbook Pro, the Apple TV, a Mac Mini, an iPod, two Iphone 4's, the iPad and I'm sure there's some other stragglers lying around somewhere. We've been through quite a few computers, iPhones and iPods over the years. I mentioned that I work on a Mac at school and since I have worked there, the school has bought five desktops and one laptop that all our offices use. And this was mostly due in part to Dusty, who convinces his mom and grandma just what to purchase when we're in need of a new computer. Because again, why would you by anything else?



Do I even need to get started on my iPhone? I don't want to be so dramatic as to say that it is my life, but it is a huge part of it! What is the iPhone to me? It is obviously my phone and all forms of communication from texts to facebook to my e-mail. It sleeps next to me, as it is my alarm clock. It is a temporary babysitter or entertainer for my kids when I need them entertained, such as in the doctor's office or the grocery store. It tracks my runs, including my mileage, pace, calories burned, etc. While running and in the car, it is my music, which can sometimes be my sanity. At the end of a long day, I typically like to blast my music. It is also my entertainment, as I have recently become quite addicted to Words with Friends (and I think there are some other addicts out there, but I won't mention any names, Aunt Jen.) You know, I love playing with you! It is my GPS. If ever I am lost or traveling to a new location, such as the ice rink the other day, I turn on my good buddy, Tom Tom, who steers me in just the right direction. It is my weatherman. I don't need to turn on the news or even bother looking at weather.com, I just press a simple button on my home screen and it gives me the 7 day forecast. If I need to remember something, I can just type a friendly reminder either in my Stickies or my Calendar app. If we want to go to a movie, I simply pull up my movie app and see what's playing where and at what time. It's endless. There is an app for everything. Now, I know there are other phones out there - but not for me. I am Apple through and through. Sorry, I have been brainwashed.



We haven't had cable in over two years. Instead, we purchased our Mac mini and hooked it up to our TV. We have a zillion movies on iTunes and watch everything through Hulu or Netflix, which has saved us a ton of money. The boys have the Apple TV hooked up in their room, which wirelessly connects with the iTunes library on our Mac mini so they can watch anything in their room from our TV. It's really a great set up.



Not only do Dusty and I use and endorse Apple products, we brainwash our children. Silas got an iPod for his two year old birthday. Eli runs around asking, "play game, iPad?" I taught Silas how to stay Steve Jobs as early as he could say it. When I recently lost my iPhone, Silas said, "It's okay, momma. Let's just go to the Apple Store and get a new one." Smart kid.



7 1/2 years ago, I was at Moody. Dusty had just ordered a laptop and had been anxiously anticipating it's arrival. He was like a little kid on Christmas morning. I laughed. I was confused at his over excitement. I'm certainly not laughing and am no longer confused. I wouldn't be doing half the things I'm doing now if I had never used a Mac. I am sold.



Being introduced to the laptop.

Eating an iPod

Silas and Brady watching the Wiggles on the laptop.

Eli's turn.

Eli being entertained by the iPod on an airplane.

The iPad entertaining both both in the airport.

0 Comments