A Rainy Day
Who doesn't enjoy a rainy day every once in awhile? What better way to spend your day than bundle up with a good book or movie - that is, if you don't have to be at work or have other obligations. Or maybe you can sleep in late, or take an afternoon nap - sounds like pure bliss.
Oh wait a minute. What am I thinking? That's nothing but a daydream, because that is not an option with two toddlers. Two toddler boys, that is, that love to run around like little wild men riding their bikes, playing outside, wrestling, etc. A rainy day for me and my two wild things means we are cooped up way too long and this leads to two, stir crazy little monsters. Not only that, but getting out of the house becomes much more complicated. We have to gear up in rain jackets, rain boots, and umbrellas, making the 100 foot walk to the car seem like we're trekking a mile. I have to carry Eli with the umbrella and try to scoot Si along with my other hand, because he loves being in the rain. If we make it to the car relatively dry, I enjoy a sigh of relief. Getting back out of the car is another story, because I am trying to stay dry while unbuckling their car seats and picking them up one by one. To do this I have to prop the umbrella between the roof of the car and the car door, which inevitably gets blown by the wind and I just end up wet anyway. Okay, so you get it - it's not the easiest thing in the world. On to my story of yesterday.

After being cooped up at school all morning, we had no other choice but to come home. We couldn't go to our usual spot at the lake, where I let them run around - instead we were doomed to a full day inside. I'm sure I sound incredibly dramatic, but yesterday was one of those days that was indeed just that. We had a never-ending afternoon, including countless trips to time out, Eli doing an acrobatic flying trick through the air and landing head first on the end table, and lots of whining. I was literally counting down the minutes until bed-time.
Dusty was meeting a good friend for dinner, which meant I would be putting the kids to bed and have a little down time to myself. This is great and I do enjoy a little "me" time every once in awhile. Finally, at 7:30 p.m. they were both sound asleep in their beds, as peaceful as could be. I settle down on the couch all geared up to watch Glee, which I didn't have time to watch the night before. Keep in mind, this is my favorite show. 15 minutes in, I hear Silas' door open and he had to go potty. [Pause Glee]. I helped Silas get settled back into bed. He was just drifting off and all of the sudden I hear, "knock, knock knock, knock!!" on the door. And by "knock, knock" it would be more appropriate to say, "bang, bang". It was so loud I wanted to scream. I figured when I didn't answer the door, as there's no way I'm answering the door at night by myself, that whoever it was would go away. This is reasonable, right? If someone doesn't answer their door after maybe two attempts, you leave. Instead, the door bell rang a couple times. This was followed by several more knocks and rings. You know what's coming - both boy's began screaming. Eli woke up startled and Silas was a little bit scared. Once Eli is awake, it takes forever for him to fall back asleep and so both boys ended up out of their beds. The quiet, peaceful evening I was looking forward to turned into the boys not being back asleep until after 10:00 p.m. So a big thank you to the moron that decided to pound on my door last night and wake up my children. Thanks for ruining my night - and just so you know sir, I didn't get to finish my show. I also had planned on going to bed early, because I had to be up by 5:00 a.m. Of course that didn't happen, so thank you again, kind sir, for ruining my sleep too. Perhaps you should learn not to knock on someone's door at 8:00 at night.
And while I'm ranting, let me tell you about another rude, obnoxious person that lives in our condo complex. This actually could be worse. Every single night this really "cool" guy that owns a motorcycle decides to rev his stupid little bike insanely loud, not stopping until he succeeds at setting off numerous car alarms. He'll go at it for sometimes more than 5 minutes, like he's trying to wake up or annoy everyone in the complex. Most nights it happens between 9:00 - 10:00, but the other night he did this around 12:30 a.m. So I lay there in bed, blood pressure rising, praying he doesn't wake up my kids. I told Dusty that that guy better watch out, because one day I might open the door and let him have it. Don't mess with a mom and her sleeping kids!
Okay, so I am finished with my horribly negative and whiny post. The sun is supposed to shine tomorrow, and for that I am thankful! I'm not sure what I'd do were I to live in Seattle or somewhere it rained a lot (with kids that is). Dusty and I always laugh at the thought of raising our boys in Chicago. That seems like a nightmare! God knew I needed the sunshine - so thank you, San Diego for being sunny and beautiful most of the time.
1 Comments
It sounds like your evening was a memorable one--the kind that stands out in your memories years later!
ReplyDeleteSorry you missed that down time; it is important! Si does look adorable in his rain gear.