Eli's Surgery

This morning was an eventful one, as Eli had surgery to get his second set of tubes as well as his adenoids removed. His surgery was in Rancho Bernardo, which is about half an hour from where we live, and we needed to check in by 6:30 a.m. Because we needed to leave so early and only one parent can even be in the recovery room, I asked Dusty to take Silas to school and I would take Eli. This really worked out well because we didn't have to drop Silas off with someone else at an insanely early hour and I was able to swing by the school on my way home to pick him up. I made sure to give the boys their baths last night so this morning was easy on everyone. Eli literally woke up at 5:35 a.m., I changed him and we were out the door. I made it there on time and got him all checked in. We went back in a little waiting room and Eli was as happy as could be (but what's new?). We were playing hide and seek, laughing and having a great time with an occasional interruption to have his temperature and blood pressure checked. The anesthesiologist came and gave him something to settle him down so the transition from there to the operating room would be smooth. I was pretty curious to see how Eli would be, as I witnessed Silas with this same medicine when he had surgery awhile back. I remember I could not stop laughing at him, as he was being hysterical. It was one of those moments I wished I had a video camera so I could document it. Well, shortly after Eli got his dose, he had the hugest smile on his face. Sporadically, he would laugh, seemingly amused by something. Every few minutes he would let out a really funny scream and then start pointing his finger at me grumbling something I couldn't quite make out. Then, he'd relax again into his dopey little state and smile up at me with his big blue eyes.

Luckily he was so out of it, when it was time for the doctor to take him he went right to him as if he was his best friend. I waited about 45 minutes in the waiting room until I was called back. Eli was crying pretty hard when I saw him, while trying to rip his iv out. The nurse that was attending to him (who was a little crazy I might add) said that he was a pincher. I was thinking that was odd because he has never pinched me. But of course he wasn't pinching, but rather was attempting to yank the bandage off his hand. She kept telling everyone he was pinching her and I tried to tell her no, he was only trying to free his hand - but she never quite got it. She also repeated his departing instructions to me about 10 times. In any case, I guess she was thorough. We were in the recovery room for about 40 minutes and finally got to go out to the car. I put Eli in his seat, he said, "airplane" and fell immediately asleep. He slept for about an hour and a half before he turned back into his little self.

Here's some photos from the doctor's office:

Being silly in the waiting room

Playing hide and seek behind the chair


The anesthesiologist gave us this mask so he would get used to it. He coated the inside with cherry flavored chapstick so it smelled good. Eli loved it!

Happy with his drugs. The arrow drawn under his nose pointing up was for adenoids. If they're having tonsils removed, the arrow points down.

Drugged and happy.

0 Comments