Mr. Smarty Pants
Silas is definitely learning the art of persuasion. I went in Target tonight to pick up a few things I needed along with some medicine for Eli. As soon as you walk in, the food court is to the right. We were passing by, walking towards the food aisles and Silas looked up at me and said, "Mommy, do you smell something? It smells soo good. I smell popcorn."
"You do? It smells so good, huh?"
"Yes mommy, can I pwease have some popcorn and a soda?"
Later, we were driving around some neighborhoods looking at Christmas lights. The last time we did this, we let Silas and Eli come sit in the front seat in our laps. The boys loved this, but neither wanted to go back to their seats when it was time to leave - and Eli cried the whole ride home. As soon as we approached the neighborhood, I looked at Dusty and whispered they should stay in their carseats. I was hoping Silas would not remember, but that's wishful thinking because he remembers everything. You cannot get anything past that kid! The first words out of his mouth were, "mommy, can I come sit with you?" I told him no and that he needed to stay in his seat. He persisted, "Pwease mommy, pwease! I really want to sit with you." Really, there would have been no harm and I should have let him. I remember being a kid and thinking looking at Christmas lights was the most glorious thing in the world. Afterall, he just wanted to enjoy it with me. But, I had already said no and I don't want him to think that he can whine to get what he wants. I soon realized what a mistake it was, because the entire time he repeated, "Mommy, can I sit with you? Mommy, can I sit with you? Mommy, can I pwease sit with you?" The answer stayed the same and I just tried to distract him. Then, there was a brief pause. I thought he was finished. Then he says, "Mommy, can I come sit with you now? Pwease mommy? I'm being a good boy and I am asking so nice."
Recently, he has started setting things up, rather than just outright asking for something. The other day I picked Silas up from school and we were walking to the car. He said to me, "Mommy, did you make some money today?"
I've been trying to teach him the concept of work and how we have to make money. I told him, "Yes Silas, mommy made some money today." He looked up at me, kind of nodded his head and said, "okay." A few minutes later after I got both the boys in their carseats and was ready to pull out of the school, he asked me if we could go to the "soda store", a.k.a. the gas station, to get a drink. He asks me this every single day and I often tell him "no" or "Si, I don't have any money." So, I was about to respond to him, all the while remembering what he had just asked me. Before I could even open my mouth to respond, he said, "Mommy, we can get a soda because you do have money. You made money today."
It's just so funny to me, because he is obviously realizing that he doesn't get everything he wants and there's a more diplomatic way to go about getting those things. He is one smart cookie. And maybe all kids are like this, I don't know? But sometimes I look at my little three year old and wonder where on earth he came from! I better watch out - who knows what I've got in store with this kid! In any case, he definitely keeps up on our toes!
2 Comments
You forgot to mention he's negotiating skills ;-)
ReplyDeleteHe loves to say, "how bout..." i.e..
"No Silas you can't sit up here." Silas replies, "How bout in minute..."
He's the most persistent person I have ever met (including his mom). =) I find myself always saying, "I love everything about him" totally being honest but also reassuring myself =P
true, true. Funny thing is he got his negotiating skills from YOU, and his persistence from ME. What a fun combo!
ReplyDeleteLOVE that kid!