A Day in the Life...

So, this is what a typical day looks like for me. However, we stay pretty busy between family parties, Disneyland, Seaworld, the craziness that is the weekends, etc. So, on any of the above mentioned activity days, it's crazier!


4:45 a.m. - Eli from his room, “Ma! Ma! Ma!” Yes, I don’t even get momma, just ma! I pick up my sweet boy, who has a grin from ear to ear. He wakes up smiling and full of life. A little early, but a great start to the day. On occasion he’ll go back to sleep for about an hour, but I don’t count on it.


5:00 a.m - I have already gotten Eli some milk and turned on a movie for him. I then work-out while listening to Eli attempting to quote in gibberish the entire movie and sing all the songs.


5:30 a.m. - Make lunches, pick up the house, lay out mine and the boy’s clothes, get Si’s breakfast and milk ready!


6:00 a.m. - By now, I have showered and Eli is typically in the bath playing, while the other two boys are sound asleep.


6:30 a.m.- By this time, I typically wake Silas up to, “mommy, I don’t want to get a bath. Mommy, I need strawberry milk. Mommy, I’m sooo cold, I need a blanket. Mommy, I need cereal. Mommy, I need you to turn me on a movie. Mommy, I need, need need....” For the next hour or so, I attempt to finish getting myself ready, the kids bathed and dressed, make the beds, act as referee between the two boys, etc. etc.


7:30 a.m. - Out the door! But not until Silas has his sharing, which takes him FOREVER to pick out. He stands at the toy chest, tapping his finger on his chin saying, “hmmmm. what will I share?” I stand there with the door open, just waiting. There is no rushing him or picking it out for him, otherwise he doesn’t want to share it. It’s a big decision apparently. Eventually we make it out the door.


....10 minutes later....


“Silas, come on. Walk faster!”

Silas is walking slower than a slug, fixated with his sharing, looking for a flower to pick for me, complaining about being sooo cold, etc. Eli is typically running as fast as he can to the car, laughing hysterically.


At some point I am actually IN the car with both boys in their carseats, with some toy in hand and can finally get to work. This is my one time of day that I try to unwind and just listen to music. (Yes, I turn it up really loud, and I know that’s terrible but sometimes I just need ME time. I try to drown out the boys. Yes, call me a bad mom and get on with it!) Silas narrates the entire ride, “Mommy, look at the sky. Look at the cars going so fast. Mommy, what is that?! Where are we going? Do I have to go to school tomorrow or are we going to church tomorrow? Mommy, I need to ask you a question....Can we go to DISNEYLAND?? Mommy, after school I will ask you to go home and then I will ask you for some milk and cereal and ask you to turn me on a movie. Etc, Etc.” Yes, God bless that kid. I LOVE every ounce of him!


8:00 a.m. - Okay, I eventually made it. I drop off Silas in the Bunnies class and Eli tries to escape and hop on a bike. He wants to stay back there and play so badly, but he has to go sit in mommy’s office until Nanny gets to school to watch him.


8:00 - 12:00 p.m. - Work! Who knows what each day will look like. Sometimes I’m swamped and the time goes by faster than I can blink. Other days, not so much. But, I do enjoy my job. During this time, Nanny comes to watch and play with Eli. Every 20 minutes or so I hear the door open, Eli runs over to me, says “hi” and gives me a kiss, then waves and says, “bye!!!!”


12:00 p.m. - I pick up Silas who typically sees me coming and gets soo excited! He tells me something exciting he did that day and then tells me that “he needs a soda”. “Mommy, can we please stop at the soda store and get me a soda??”


Occasionally we stop. Most days we don’t! It generally takes me about 25 minutes to get out to my car. Silas always has to stop and pick me a flower, say hi and bye to Grammy and tell her about his day.


1:00 p.m. - Home again. (Unless I stop at Lake Murray and go for a run. This depends on the time of year. Now, I'm having to run in the afternoons because it gets dark too early)

Sometimes Eli is napping and on a very rare occasion, Silas will take a short nap. We generally hang out for awhile either watching a movie, playing with cars, blowing bubbles, etc. Silas really wants/needs some down time after school and always tells me that he wants to go home. He never wants to go for a run, but ends up enjoying it because if we go, I bring food to feed the birds and ducks. He thinks that is great!


Once home a couple hours, most days we will leave at some point and run some errands. We pretty much always go to the “red store”, otherwise known as Target! Somehow I always manage to forget something, thus needing to go the next day. Once a week we’ll end up at the grocery store, which is the “food store” and sometimes the “price store” ($.99 store)


4:00 p.m. - I generally am starting dinner and doing things around the house such as laundry and/or cleaning.


5:00 p.m. - Typically Dusty gets home around this time and plays with the boys. They like to be thrown on the bed and “wrestle” . Then, dinner is served all around. Eli eats like a garbage disposal, and Silas picks at his food.


Most evenings we hang out at home, but sometimes we’ll go to a park or somewhere. Kind of depends on the boy’s mood and the day.


7:00 p.m. - Eli to bed. According to Silas, "Eli has to go to bed first because he is a baby and I am a big boy."


7:30 p.m. - Silas to bed.


7:40 p.m. - Silas’ bedroom door opens. He walks around the corner. “Mommy, I need to go potty.” “Go potty and go back to bed, Silas.” He goes potty and walks out of the bathroom slowly. “Ummm, mommy. Can I give you a hug and a kiss?” “Yes, Silas, and go back to bed”. “Mommy, I need some milk” “Go to bed!!”


7:45 p.m. - [sweak] Silas’ door opens again. “Ummm, mommy. I love you!” He will often start making silly faces and/or do a silly little dance, trying to get us to laugh at him. In a stern voice, all the while trying not to laugh at his goofiness, “Silas, go to bed! Don’t you come back out of your room!” “Okay, mommy, but can I please just give you a hug and a kiss first?” Melt my heart, “okay! Now go to bed. I love you!!”


Finally, some time to wind down. This means catching up on tv - Glee, Survivor, The Office, 30 Rock, The Middle, etc. I really don’t watch that many shows, bc I can’t keep up with it all! Or, I’m on facebook, editing photos, or mindlessly surfing the internet. I generally go to bed around 9:30 p.m. (I know, I’m OLD!!) I’m sorry to say, but that just happens when you have little kids. I never in a million years knew how utterly exhausting it could be - but worth every second! My kids are the biggest joys in the world and I love every moment with them, even the moments they drive me crazy. They are just so darn cute and loveable. It should be illegal to be so CUTE!


10:00 p.m. - Hopefully I am asleep. And hopefully I’ll make it through the night without one of the boys waking up. Goodnight!!


0 Comments