Laughter and Leaps of Faith

I know I talk a lot about my kids, but I cannot help their cuteness! Plus, my life pretty much revolves around them right now. And being my main source of entertainment, I must share :)

Silas has a new obsession with laughing. Tonight we were in the car and Silas laughed the entire 20 minute ride home. And by laughing, I mean hysterical, belly laughing. I asked him what he was laughing at and he told me, "momma, laughing is so funny! Can I laugh at the cars?"
Me - "Yes, Silas, you can laugh at the cars."
Silas - "Can I laugh at the buildings and houses?"
Me - "Yes, Silas, you can."
Silas - "Can I laugh at you, momma?"
Me - "Yes Silas."
Silas - "aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...."

At some point I'll have to get a recording of his new, silly laugh. I seriously never know what's gonna come out of his mouth!

I just thought that was funny, but not what I was going to write about. Today, I had my first paying photo shoot. Ever since I had Silas and got a nice camera, I have enjoyed taking pictures. It really began with simply wanting to capture every single second of his life on film. Poor child probably feels like I'm the paparazzi. At first I only took the pictures and made Dusty edit them. Eventually I made myself more comfortable with Aperture and decided to sit down and really learn it. As with most things, I was very insecure in the beginning. I wasn't quite sure what to do or if I was doing it right. I'd make Dusty look at every single picture to make sure it looked "good". I'm not sure when the switch flipped, but at some point I developed an obsession with taking pictures. A good friend of mine had a baby about 8 months ago and when I went up to the hospital to see her, I brought my camera. She fell in love with the photos I took and asked if I could take pictures for her once a month. I said, "sure" and before I knew it I had other people asking me to take pictures for them as well. It's so hard for me to really even talk about because I haven't quite built up my confidence yet. I don't consider myself a "photographer", but think of it as more of a hobby. I'd like to think I'm good, and I get lots of compliments - but still it's hard for me to take that next leap of faith. Am I skilled enough to be paid to do it? There must be some validity to what I'm doing, because it seems lately I have had so many people requesting that I take family photos for them. I willingly agree, because it's become something I really enjoy doing - plus, I love that I can help people out. The only reason the whole question of being paid has come up is I have had enough requests that I cannot keep up with it. I feel like I can't pick and choose who to say "yes" or "no" to, and I can't take all this time out of my schedule to do this out of the goodness of my heart. I think that would become frustrating to my family.

All I keep telling myself is I am learning. I truly hope that one day I can look back at what I'm doing and be proud of it. I know there are many things I still need to work on and I hope to continue to grow, challenge myself, and be confident enough to try new things. I am excited to see what happens. If I can push through my insecurities, I think it could turn out to be a good thing. Sometimes I wonder if everyone is as insecure as I am? It's hard to take a leap of faith and believe that I am good enough to pursue this. I tend to be like that in many areas. For instance, I love to cook. I cook for Dusty pretty much every night and I wouldn't say I'm a chef, but I haven't had too many complaints. Anyhow, I can cook for Dusty any night of the week, but the thought of having company and letting someone else eat my food stresses me out! Maybe I have a problem with the need to be perfect. I mean, let me just say it - I am a perfectionist. I am incredibly hard on myself and knit pick every little detail of things. I am also competitive. This would surprise some people, because I am pretty quiet and reserved. But deep down, I like to win. All that to say, this puts me in a tough situation when I want to feel good about something I do. I see every little flaw and compare myself to other people. Then I convince myself that I'm not good enough.

So, what it comes down to is this - I have to believe in myself. I cannot let other people or most importantly myself, get in the way of pursuing something I love to do.

At the end of the day, I need to learn to laugh, just like Silas. Life is too short to spend it attaining perfection to the degree that I never do anything. Sometimes I need to step out with confidence and try something new. And it's okay to laugh at myself even. I pray that I can learn to enjoy the simplicity of life and learn to follow God's lead. I never in a million years would have dreamt this up, but who knows where I'll be years down the road. What a joy it is to have such a sweet little boy, that can show me such a profound truth. Sometimes we need to take the lead of little children and see life for the simplicity that it can be. We make it way to complicated - I know I sure do.

3 Comments

  1. In your heart, I think you know you have the talent, as a matter of fact, it's because you put your heart into it, that makes you as good as you are.
    Sometimes we have to jump in with both feet instead of just testing the waters with our toes. Each of us has our own flaws. And you are soooo right - Life is too short - sometimes we forget to stop and appreciate the blessings that we have been given. Thanks for helping me "stop and smell the roses". Luv Ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, I really appreciate that :)
    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete