Families are like fudge...
Papaw Huckabee - When I think of you, I remember you, me and the swing on the front porch. I wish I would have had the opportunity to know you, though I do have a very vague memory. There is a picture that was taken of you and me on that swing, that I have always loved and will cherish.
Mamaw Huckabee - So many things come to mind when I think of you - butterflies, Coca Cola, incredible food, amazingly sweet Kool-aid and Christmas. Some of my favorite childhood memories are with you. I will never forget when I heard you were sick and you had to undergo all your treatment, though that is not how I remember you. I do remember the times spent with you when you’d come stay at our house, play checkers with me and how I loved helping take care of you. I remember writing a letter to you on my birthday, saying all I wanted was for you to get better, and that was the absolute truth. I will always love you and know that I will see you again one day.
Uncle Kenny - I have always thought you were so funny and fun to be around. I always loved how you and my mom would go back and forth with all your joking around. When I think of you, two words that come to mind are kind and gentle.
Robin - We sure had some fun times as kids, playing in the middle room building tents, playing monopoly and going out to the playground. I loved the times you came to stay at our house for a week and I remember pulling out the couch bed watching movies and you watching CMT blasting country music. I always thought you were so cool and pretty.
Lindsay - I remember when you were born and thought it was the greatest thing ever having a baby cousin. You were so adorable and I always loved the times that we got to see you. I always loved your beautiful red hair!
Sarah - When I think of you, I think of a beautiful little girl with lots of curls. Again, I loved having little cousins and thought it was so much fun helping take care of you.
Uncle Timmy - My most distinct memory of you is you flying in one Christmas Eve and we were all pretty young. You walked in the door with your long hair and big muscles and we thought you looked like a wrestler. And we thought you were so cool because you came to the “middle room” and played games with Jay, Robin and me. You were bigger than life.
Uncle Mark - When I think of you, I think about golf! I also remember when we met and being amazed that you worked at my aunt’s high school. I have always appreciated how you make the time to come visit us when we come into town - even if we do serve dinner a little bit late :)
Aunt Cindy - So many memories - Atari, the trailer, you always leaving your curling iron plugged up and turned on, how you used to have long blonde hair! I remember always calling and asking a million questions, “What’s mamaw doing? What’s Aunt Cindy doing? What’s PePe doing?” I love you very much and am so thankful you are a part of my life. Even though we are far away, I love the times I get to see you and all the encouraging comments you write me on my blog. I love that you always come see me when I’m in town and that you are always there for my dad. You will always hold a special place in my heart.
Papaw Kress - It seems like I saw you guys almost every couple of weekends growing up. I remember always having to sit by you at the table, how you cooked everyone breakfast every morning we stayed at your house, the beef jerky and dried banana chips, and how you always had what seemed like a new and impeccable car. I always loved coming to visit.
Mamaw Kress - I remember your beautiful afghans blankets you would spend hours making, your crossword puzzles and how much food you always had in your house - enough for a couple years it seemed! I have always appreciated your thoughtfulness and how you always send me cards and bonds for the boys.
Uncle Byron - When I think of you, I think quiet natured and diligent. You have always had such a strong desire to serve God and enjoyed studying His word. You have always seemed to have such a good heart.
Aunt Linda - I remember spending many a night at your house, your beautiful birthday cakes, and can’t help but remember “Big Bertha”. I remember going to the hospital you worked at once and walking through the nursery seeing what you do. Being really young and impressionable, I thought it was amazing and know it takes a wonderful and caring person to work with those precious babies. What you do is truly priceless and special.
Rebekah - I have always had a special place in my heart for you and we were such good friends. You have such a beautiful, soft spirit about you. I think you are a remarkable person and was so blessed to grow up with you. I loved all the times we had together.
Lora - I have so many memories of you and your sisters it’s crazy. I remember the weeks we spent together during the summers, always thinking you and Bethany were so cool because you were twins - and also so pretty. I always loved spending time with you. I think you are a hard worker and a dedicated mommy. You have two beautiful children that I know are blessed to have you as their mommy.
Bethany - Again, my memories of you come hand and hand with Rebekah and Bethany because we were always together. I loved spending time with all of you and couldn’t wait to see you with each visit. I always thought you were so great and looked up to you even though I was younger. I am so excited for where you are at in your life and can’t wait to see what God has in store for you!
Paul - It's weird to think of you all grown up, because you were always the youngest. And now you're almost finished with college and getting married. You are such a strong person and when I think of you, I think of a fighter! You've never been afraid to speak your mind or do what you think is right. That is a neat quality and I hope you continue to stay true to who you are. I wish you all the best and know you will go far!
Uncle Steve - When I think of you, I think of the Sci Fi Channel, you and Savannah speaking Spanish back and forth, and your humor. I always thought you were funny and loved how you would always bring games with you to play at Mamaw and Papaw’s house. I also appreciate that you often open your home to me and my boys when we fly in to visit!
Aunt Sharon - You have always held a special place in my heart. You are so kind and warm and like a second mom. I love our e-mails, our visits when I’m in Texas, and how you’ve always stood by me. I think you are so wonderful and love you so very much! Thanks for always being there to listen and brighten my day.
Savanna - You were always bigger than life. I remember thinking you were so cool and so pretty. I always thought you were fascinating. I am so happy you have finally met the man of your dreams and think you have an amazing and wonderful heart that desires to serve the Lord. I am so excited to see where God takes you.
Aunt Carol - I didn’t get to see you all that much growing up, but always thought you were fun and loved your laugh. I’ll always remember the trips we took to Michigan, your spaghetti, the trip to Niagra falls, and how you love to tease. Also, our relentless back and forths about the Redwings and the Stars. And just so you know, the Stars are still better!!
Nick - I’ve got one word for you - Goober! Ha, I will never ever forget that week my mom and I came to see you in Michigan. We had so much fun. You are so funny and full of life. Always keep your sense of humor!
Mike - We didn’t see you all that much growing up, but I specifically remember our trips to Michigan to see you guys. I remember playing in your parent’s basement, “ahhh, it’s like a Petunia”, and being fascinated at how much and how fast you and Nick could eat. I wish you all the best and like I told your mom - the Dallas Stars are the best!!
Papa - I have always thought you to be so kind and sweet. You always greet me with a hug and a smile and I love being around you. You were so welcoming from the first time I met you and I have always appreciated your generosity.
Grandma - I heard so much about you before I ever met you, because Dusty thinks the world of you. I came to find out why. You have such a caring heart that is so admirable. You are full of energy and life and you bring joy to any room. It is a pleasure to be able to work with you.
Uncle Mike - You have always been so warm and welcoming and easy to be around. I love your ability to laugh and have a great time. You amazing family is a direct result of your strong work ethic and family values. I love all your boys and know that you must be an amazing dad!

Aunt Shanna - I think you are beautiful! I love how we tease each other back and forth about the cookie contest! I love how open and honest you are and how you are always smiling. Over the past year I have seen your faith played out and it has been inspiring. Thanks for encouraging others with your ability to lean on God for your strength. I think you are so wonderful and think you are such an amazing mother.
Brad - Come on Brad, come back to work at Bonita Road already. I know you miss our daily chats, and who else will you turn to when you need all the supplies to make a homemade Valentine’s card? Seriously, I will always remember you visiting us in Chicago and your wonderful sense of humor. You always bring a smile to my face and I love being around you.
Zach - Two words - Rube Cube! It’s only been two years, and neither of us has solved it. We need to place a bet already. I think you are hilarious and so fun to be around. You have such a gentle spirit about you that is so pleasant to be around. You are incredible easy to talk to and fun to laugh with.
Erick - The first time I met you, you were still at Bonita Road and now you barely fit in my house! You also have a great sense of humor, are an amazing athlete and have so much potential to succeed! I think you are a remarkable young man and can’t wait to see where you end up!
Uncle Bill - I will never forget meeting you and Aunt Jen for the first time. You were so supportive of Dusty and me getting married and I remember feeling so welcome by you. I have always appreciated that. I think you are an incredibly hard worker and have raised three amazing boys. You are generous beyond words and have a warm heart.
Aunt Jen - I think you are beautiful too! You have so many amazing qualities and are so fun to be around. You always make me laugh with your great sense of humor. You have always gone out of your way to make me feel welcome. You are so kind and I think you’re just plain great! I also love how you always ask about my family and genuinely care!
Josh - When I think of you, I think you are the idea man. I love how mad you get that Dusty and I don’t answer our phones. The times we do see you calling, Dusty and I look at each other, laugh, and wonder what you’ve got up your sleeve this time. You are so passionate and have a wonderful way with people. I have always enjoyed spending time with you and Nichole because it’s always a great time, full of laughs and fun.
Nichole - Ever since I met you, I thought we could be great friends. You are so easy to talk to and be around and we aways have that bond of living away from our families and understanding what that’s like. You are so go with the flow and I love that about you. You always have a great attitude and I also admire your desire to serve the Lord. You are an amazing mommy and wife.
Brady - I will never forget the day you were born and coming to see you in the hospital. You are such a fun and energetic little boy that lights up every room with laughter. You never know what cute thing is going to come out of your mouth. You are full of life!
Carson - When you were first born it seemed like you would be more mellow and laid back - anyone would seem that way compared to Brady. But it doesn’t seem that’s the case. You are such a sweet little boy that can run around with the best of them, or sit quietly and play. I love watching you and Eli play together. You always seem to have a smile on your face!
Peyton - You are the newest member of the family and are so beautiful. I can’t wait to see your little personality develop and see how you fit into your little family. You are the perfect completion to your family and such a little blessing.
Wes - You have always made me laugh. I just love being around you in general because it’s always a good time. I love how you are so into Twilight and not ashamed of it. I love seeing you and Dusty together and hear all your old, crazy stories.
JoAnne - When I think of you, I think of sweet! You are always so warm and friendly. I don’t know why we don’t hang out more, because the times that we do are always fun. You are such an amazing mommy and you are my hero for braving 3 so young! You have such an amazing attitude and easy to be around.
Callie - You are so precious!! I love how when I take your picture at school you always want to see and how you come up next to me, put your arm around me, and rub my hair. You have the sweetest smile and are beyond loveable! You were the first grandbaby and brought such joy to our family.
Jake - Everyone that sees you always says you’re so big and you’ll probably hear it your whole life! You are absolutely adorable and playful. I love seeing you and Callie together and it’s neat seeing you now as an older brother.
Lucas - You are also one of the newest members of the family - and so cute! You look a lot like your brother, but can’t wait to see you develop into your own unique self. You have a smile that already lights up a room!
Joel - Dusty has always described you as the luckiest person alive! You are so easy going and fun to be around. You are just a genuinely nice person that is great with people. I think I could learn from you to just go with the flow and laugh more.
Aly - You are so kind, a devoted wife and amazing mother, and passionate about God. I really admire your strong faith. You have an incredible voice that often leaves me with chills. I have enjoyed getting to know you better the past few months. You are incredibly talented and I admire your courage to try new things.
Reese - You are so beautiful!! I love your chubby cheeks and your smile that goes from ear to ear. You’re a bit of a stinker with me and my camera, but know we will be buddies one day and you’ll be posing for me before I know it. Your silly laugh and happiness is contagious.
Uncle Randy - I don’t know you all that well, mostly through your writings over the past months. I know Dusty thinks the world of you and I have come to see what a soft heart you have. You have an amazing ability to write and your daily updates on Jacque were inspiring. It has been amazing to see your heart on each page and your faith in God.
Rachel - You are amazing. I can’t get over how incredible you’ve been with your three kiddos and how easy you make it seem. I also appreciate how caring and considerate you are. You are so friendly and go out of your way to help people. I’m always amazed how you offer to help other people out with their kids when you have your own hands full!
Matt - When I think of you the first thought that pops into my head is PC. I don’t know why, maybe because I can’t function on one and am amazed at anyone who can. Do yourself a favor and use a Mac :) You’re an incredibly nice guy, and from what I hear an amazing dad and husband - Rach really brags you up and I think that’s so great! I’ll always remember your birthday, because it is also Silas’ (sorry for ruining it every single year with a kid’s birthday party). I am also incredibly sorry I overlooked you on my first version of this list. Please forgive my horrible, tragic mistake!
Kaeden- You are such a sweet kid and I often laugh when I see you because you and Si have many similarities. Your mommy and I were pregnant together and I remember taking 2 week old Silas to the hospital when you were born so we could meet you. You’re such a smart little guy and I’m amazed at the things that come out of your mouth. I need to get you and Silas together more, because I think you’ll be great friends.
Jackson- Baby boy, you are one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen. You seem so mellow and just plain sweet. I LOVE your hair - it’s about the best baby hair I’ve seen. Everytime I see you, you make me smile. I also love your name :)
Bailey - You also, are just plain beautiful. Being around you too much could make me want a girl, so you may have to stop being so darn cute. I love your smile and love watching you with your little brother. You are simply a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e!
Jacque - You are a miracle. The past few months have been so incredible. Your courage and your spirit nothing short of inspiring! You could have chosen any attitude, but you chose thankfulness and joy. Thank you for being an encouragement to me. You are beautiful inside and out.
Sam - Sam-Sam! You used to call me Mel-Mel and I always thought it was sweet. I always thought you were such a sweet kid and now you’re all grown up! I love the closeness that you and Dusty have and how you’re like another brother to him.
Aunt Susie - You are sweet beyond words! I’ve only been around you a few times, but have loved getting to know you. You have a softness about you that makes me feel like I’ve always known you!
Andrew - You are always so kind and thoughtful. You always ask how things are going and genuinely care. You, like your mom, seem like such a warm person.
Christine - I don’t know you all that well yet, but you’ve been nothing but sweet! You are always full of compliments and always smiling. You are just genuinely nice!
Nanny - I have really gotten to know you over the past year and a half as you’ve watched Eli. Without fail, you come everyday to take care of Eli so I can work. It has meant more to me that I could ever express. And not just your help, but your love. You listen, encourage, and always brighten mine and Eli’s day. You have such a giving heart and I love you. You are wonderful!
3 Comments
From the time you were just a little girl, you wrote notes to people. Thanks for sharing your heart so eloquently. I love that you said Si and Eli are your heart because I have always said that about you and Jay.
ReplyDeleteI love you.
Oh you are so cute! Stop making the rest of us look bad! ;)
ReplyDeleteWell again, you make me laugh and cry at the same time. You have the gift of being able to share what is in your heart, which we don't all have. You will always be my sweet little Melissa with a Great Big Tender Heart. Your love of God, Family and Friends shows through in everything you do, especially in your writings. Thanks for sharing! Memories... Pink Baby and Blue Baby, Wizard of Oz (over and over and over), Elf, and your precious notes to Mamaw (which I do still have)... I could go on and on
ReplyDeleteYou are a very special person, that has a very special tender heart. Although we are miles apart, you and your family will always be in my heart, thoughts and prayers.
I Love You,
Aunt Cindy