Prayer & Parenting



With each day that passes, I realize more and more how difficult being a parent actually is.  Of course it's a joy and a privilege, but also a HUGE responsibility.  Suddenly, you're responsible to raise this little being - attempting to instill good qualities into him/her.  As a Believer, our goal is to train them up in the Word of God and hopefully live a life that reflects Him.  Sometimes, even in our best attempts, we're still making tons of mistakes.  And before you know it, they're old enough to point out those very mistakes to you.  It's quite the humbling experience.  


The whole point of this rant is that the past couple of days I have become more and more convicted about prayer being more a part of my job as a parent.  I would love to say I stop and pray an hour every single day for each of my kids.  In all honesty, that doesn't happen.  My desire is to pray for them daily - even if it's just for 5 minutes.  If I don't have 5 minutes in my day, then there's a serious problem.  


Silas woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.  Literally, everything was wrong.  He was cold.  He didn't want to get out of bed.  He didn't want a bath.  I got him the wrong cereal and quite frankly - how dare I?  He didn't get to pick out his sharing before we left for school (he forgot).  Grammy wasn't in her office so he didn't get to say hi.  Etc. etc. etc.  I'll give you the perfect excuse, copping out like most parents do occasionally and say he was overly tired and that's why he was acting that way.  Perhaps.  I know he was tired - but he was also in a terrible frame of mind.  I get it.  Who hasn't had one of those days?  However, when your little 5 year old is acting as if he's the biggest spoiled brat you've ever encountered and whining to the point that it sounds like nails on a chalkboard - in those moments, patience doesn't always come easy.  In those moments, there is a choice.  I can react or I can discipline.  This is where prayer comes in.  This is where I have to honestly look beyond how I may feel in that moment to how God would have me to discipline, teach and mold my child.  It's. not. easy.


In the car after school, Silas started up with his whining again.  He was seemingly fine when I picked him up and in my office before we left the school, but as soon as we got in the car it was as if he flipped a switch.  I calmly spoke with him, but his whining persisted.  I drove to the lake and put both kids in the stroller to go for a walk.  As I was walking, they both fell sound asleep.  Silence.  Peace.  


Sadly, I didn't have my headphones to listen to music, so I was all alone with my thoughts.  I began running.  This was exhilarating.  This was the first time I have ran since starting my INSANITY workout.  As my feet continually hit the pavement, for the time being, I had not a care in the world.  When I was finished, I took advantage of the kids being asleep and grabbed the book I've been reading, "A Woman After God's Own Heart."  Today's chapter was on prayer.


"I will lift my eyes to the hills - from whence come my help?  My help comes from the Lord."  Psalm 121:1-2


Like the rest of the book, this chapter was incredibly convicting.  After I read, I took the opportunity to do just that - pray.  


Of course, Eli woke up not too long after.  Abruptly.  Very abruptly.  That kid genuinely amazing me.  He was sound asleep and then ding!  He was wide awake, chirpy as all get out.  I tried to wake Silas, because we had planned to blow bubbles and throw rocks.  He was so exhausted I let him sleep.  So, Eli and I spent some time together "talking to the ducks", throwing rocks and blowing bubbles.  


I'd love to say Silas woke up magically transformed from his bad attitude and happy, but he didn't.  He was upset because he woke up just as we were leaving and didn't get to blow bubbles.  "Now, I'll never get to blow bubbles again.  Never, never, never."  So, obviously his perspective did not change and perhaps bed-time will come early today, but even so, I can tell you one thing - it's not nearly as difficult to deal with when I'm trying to do it on my own accord.  Life isn't always easy, but God is faithful.  God knows our every need and He will provide.  Often times the bad days are what God uses to teach us something.  And hopefully, we are looking for Him in the midst of it.


"Be still and know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10


I am so thankful for the few moments I had this afternoon to be still in His presence and for the lessons He is teaching me regarding my role as a mom and the discipline of prayer in my life.  


My two sleeping boys.
After my run.
Bubbles!
"Talking" to the ducks.
Silas sleeping the entire time we were playing.
I love this because I love his Mickey Mouse undies :)

0 Comments