Absolutely Green Monster-licious
If you know me, you'll know that I. LOVE. SMOOTHIES.
There was a time in my life that I got a Jamba Juice every single day. Yes, I know. Ridiculous! My order, you ask? A Power Matcha Green Tea Mist with extra bananas...thick, with some in a kid's cup. Occasionally we'd go on smoothie runs at work and I'm sure no one liked placing my order. Baby Silas and I shared this delightful, tasty goodness every day. I could justify this because at least I was getting something decent in him - after all, he is the pickiest eater in the entire world. Now, he will only drink that very same smoothie. If it's not green, his lips aren't touching that straw.
Well, I have seen several friends talk about a Green Monster Smoothie and it sounded pretty tasty. Yesterday, I finally decided to pick up the needed ingredients: bananas, blueberries, spinach and almond milk (or any milk you prefer). The only other thing I added was a touch of cinnamon, some almond slices and ice. I threw it all in the blender, blended said ingredients and voila! A yummy, tasty green smoothie. Now, for the test. Could I even talk Silas into trying said smoothie, minus the Jamba Juice cup? I wasn't so sure. However, sometimes he surprises me.
I said, "Hey! Silas. Guess what Momma made? A GREEN smoothie!!" (I was trying to get him all excited!!)
He replied, "A Green Smoothie?? Is this the same green smoothie I like, because if it is, I will be SO excited."
Here is where I lied and said, "Of course it is!"
He tried it.
{Pause}
"I. LOVE. IT. Mommy, this is so delicious! I LOVE green smoothies."
Success! Genius. Think of the nutrients I'm getting in that kid. Pure awesomeness. This could be an everyday thing now. And just wait until I tell him it's called a Green Monster Smoothie. I cannot begin to explain how excited I am at this very moment.
So, if you want to try this out for yourself, follow this simple recipe:
1 Banana
1/2 Cup Blueberries
2 Cups Fresh Spinach
Milk and Ice as desired for consistency (Almond milk is A-mazing!!)
As stated, I added a dash of cinnamon and a few almonds. Obviously, if you wanted it a bit sweeter you could add some form of sweetener - splenda, brown sugar, etc..
Please believe me - you absolutely cannot taste the spinach if you're worried about that. You wouldn't know it was in there, had you not seen the ingredients. I highly recommend this, especially if you have a picky eater, such as my Silas. Miracle of miracles - I can now get something else green and some fruits in him. Currently, the only veggie he'll eat without a fuss is broccoli. And fruit - he won't touch. It took me over an hour of screaming and crying to get him to finish 1 apple slice one day. Basically, he lives off of grilled chicken breast strips, broccoli, rice, cheese, oatmeal, eggs, non-fat milk and cereal. One step at a time, folks.
And if you're wondering, Eli gobbled it all up without even a thought. He'll eat anything. He. LOVES. food.
| The ingredients. |
| In the blender. |
| Blended. |
| Happy Boy. Happy Mom. |
| Eli loves it too. |
0 Comments