Blogger's Block

I haven't had much to say lately.  The few posts I've had over the past weeks have mostly been photos.  I decided...

I've been in a rut.

Rut
[ruht]

–noun
1. a furrow or track in the ground, especially one made by the passage of a vehicle or vehicles.
2. any furrow, groove, etc.
3. a fixed or established mode of procedure or course of life, usually dull or unpromising: to fall into a rut.

I guess #3 would apply to me.  So here's the deal.  We were super busy with Silas' birthday and then my dad came.  Both the boys were sick, as you know, and we were mostly confined to the house for the week.  Dad left and that weekend Dusty became sick.  I, also did not feel up to par.  I wasn't sick, sick - like on my death bed or anything - just a bit achy, a smidge congested and a lot exhausted.  To be honest, I haven't wanted to do much of anything this week.  Sure, I got up and went to work and did my thing, I've taken care of the kids, the house, dinner, etc. but in a "I just have to keep moving" sort of state.  Don't worry, I'm not pregnant, I'm not depressed - I'm just in a rut.  Rather, I was.

I decided I had to snap out of it.  I can't just function - I need to thrive, right?  Right.

So with that, let me tell ya about the past two days.  

Yesterday was the end of "Dr. Seuss Week" at school and the preschool went on a field trip.  We went to Chuck E Cheese.  

Chuck E Cheese with 70 preschoolers.  

Yes, I do love my kids.  Chuck E Cheese is the kind of thing we parents do because we love our kids.  I'm not sure who was more worn out by the time we got home - them, or me!  As you can see, they had a ball and as always, I am glad I went with them. 








After making a quick stop by Target, we arrived home and were perfectly comfortable and content on the couch.  Dusty came home early - around 4:00 p.m. - full of energy and an idea to have a fun, family night.  I think I stared at him.  He was all excited and spontaneous and I just wanted to close my eyes and go to sleep.  I think this was what snapped me out of my rut.  Although I wasn't all geared up to go, we went anyway.  And, we had fun.  Sometimes you just have to get up and move.  We ate dinner at Chipotle  and then headed to Seaport Village.  Silas wanted to go to the top of a sky scraper, so we took the elevator all the way up to the 40 somethingth floor of the Hyatt.  "It was awesome!!" as Silas would proclaim.  To top off the night, we needed to validate our parking pass, so we went to a cookie shop and each picked out a cookie.  Silas got Snickerdoodle, Eli picked M&M, Dusty chose peanut butter and I settle on white chocolate macadamia nut after some deliberation.  Fitting, I thought.  Each had the perfect pick. 


When we got home it was basically bedtime, so the boys were tucked in their bed and Dusty and I watched a movie.  Or rather, I watched about 10 minutes of a movie until I fell asleep for the night.  You know you've slept well when you think it has to at least be 10:00 a.m. and you look at your phone to discover it's only 6:30 a.m.  Hey, for me that's sleeping in.  I roll out of bed every morning at 4:45 a.m. to do my Insanity workout.  And that's just what that is...insane.  


I picked up the house a bit, started some laundry, worked out, gave 3 hair cuts, got everyone ready and Dusty and I parted ways.  We had a "Daddy and Eli Day" and a "Mommy and Silas Day".  I love this.  I love, love, love spending one-on-one time with my precious boys.  Eli and Daddy went to a basketball game and lunch.  Silas decided he wanted to go to the Red Store, a.k.a. Target, get a pretzel and soda and sit down with me to eat.  Typically he eats in the cart while I shop, so obviously this was a treat for him.  We got there and they were out of pretzels, so he settled on popcorn.  We had a fun little conversation and then got a cart so I could pick up a few things while we were there.  Then, we came home, changed into our swimsuits and headed out to the pool.  Perfect idea, Silas.  We really are two peas in a pod.  I enjoyed soaking up a little sun in between chit chatting with him and helping him try to swim without floaties.  Gotta get that boy swimming by the summer!  That's my big goal, so I'm looking into swim schools.









Eli on his date with Daddy. 
Popcorn in Target. 
The snake Silas picked out. 





Anyway,  I started a new book yesterday - "A Woman After God's Own Heart".  It was refreshing.  The first chapter is titled, "A Heart Devoted to God" and begins with the Scripture, "But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."  I found the chapter to be very refreshing and challenging.  If there's one thing I struggle with, it's with what I do.  I am so Type A and have a hard time sitting still.  There's always something to be done and let's be honest, I can be a bit OCD about things.  Really, life is all about priorities.  Just because we are choosing to do something that is "good" doesn't mean that it is the "best" choice.  The author addresses "good, better and best" choices.  It really challenged me to think about some of the choices I make in every day life.  Do I really need to clean the floor right now, or should I sit down and give my kids the attention they are seeking.   Should I choose to sit down and watch a television show, or should I read my Bible and pray?  Just a thought.  Priorities.  Cleaning isn't bad, but maybe not what I should be doing in certain moments.  Sitting down to relax and watch a tv show isn't necessarily bad - but I could be using my time better and also filling my mind with more positive and beneficial things - such as the Word of God.  When it comes down to it, each moment is a gift.  Each moment is a choice.  And, what kind of choices am I making?  I want them to the the best, not simply just good.


And that's my food of thought for the day.  "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."  Proverbs 3:6

0 Comments