That's Not My Kid
One of the biggest things I've learned upon having kids is consistency, consistency. My life and theirs is a much better place when we keep to our normal routine. Anytime we go out of town or something changes in our normal schedule for an extended amount of time, it takes me several days to get the boys re-adjusted. We just came back from Texas, where the boys had an absolute blast, but have been incredibly whiny and challenging since we've been home. Grandparents always say it's their job to spoil the grandkids - and they most certainly do! (Dad, I say this with all love and there is no amount of blame here!) Being told "no" when we get back to mommy's rules results in some minor tantrums, especially from my two year old who's recently discovered a little mind of his own. I mean, I can understand why they're whiny. I came home exhausted, not ready to go back to work, my sleep schedule was a couple hours off and I didn't necessarily want to jump back into everything after having a bit of a break. However, I cannot justify throwing myself a crying fit - nor will I allow it from them. So - with all that said, I'll give a few examples from the past few days.
Last night, Eli decided he wanted to be Batman. He went in his closet, found his Batman mask and came to me asking, "Batman cape?" I found the cape, placed it around his shoulders and he was Batman. This was his first time putting on Silas' cape, so to him, he was bigger than life. Eli flew around the house all night proclaiming, "I'm Batman. I'm Batman." while Silas pretended to be a ninja. Yes, my house is nonstop entertainment. In any case, the hour came for bedtime and I told Eli, as I do every night, "Eli, tell Daddy and Silas night night. It's time for bed." Normally he would run over to Dusty with a giant smile on his face and say, "Night night, Daddy! Uvv you!" That's easy enough.
Last night, this didn't go so smoothly. Eli immediately threw himself down on the floor and began crying. I firmly told him to stand up. He refused. This repeated a few times before I picked him up and carried him in his room to his time out chair. After time out, I began taking off his costume so I could put his pj's on. Of course this created a reaction of giant proportions. I have never seen such a tantrum from my sweet little E - and was actually shocked. After a bit of a struggle and a fair amount of discipline, I finally managed to get him in bed. He looked at me angrily and cried, "Nanny!"
Really? Really? After all I do for you, you're mad and going to cry for someone else? Thanks bud. Cut right to the heart.
Of course, he woke up happy as always and had a great day. Later, in the afternoon, I needed to run by Target to pick up a few things. By the time we got to the check out, Eli was mad about something - I think he was cranky because he hadn't gotten his nap out. Silas was extraordinarily whiny and I had to separate the two since they were driving one another crazy. Despite their unruly behavior, the nice cashier offered them both stickers. Again, Eli typically smiles, waves and happily shouts, "Hiiiiii!" to anyone that speaks to him. Today, he looked at her rudely and made some noise at her. Embarrassing. She was gracious and said, "I know, sometimes I feel the same way". Thank you. She obviously has or had had little kids.
When I got home and took Eli out of the car, he looked up at me and said, "Up?" I told him no since I had way too many bags to carry. I told him he had to walk. He screamed. I firmly told him that we do not throw fits and he better walk - basically saying, or else. He looked in my eyes and knew exactly what he was doing and as determined as I was that he would walk, he was just as determined that he would not. I started walking towards the door and he didn't budge. He screamed at me, tears falling from his face. I got to the door, set down my bags and started walking back towards him. At this point he knew it didn't look good, so he took a few steps. When I reached him, he looked up at me and in the sweetest voice ever asked, "Up?" Of course I wasn't about to give in to him so I said, "No. You. Walk. Now."
{Screeeeaaaaaam!}
After a couple minutes of insisting that he walk and him outright refusing, I picked him up, walked swiftly inside and put him in time out. He was so upset and knew well enough what he had done that he wouldn't even open his eyes. He stood in time out, in complete shame. I left him there until I had unpacked and put away all my stuff. I walked over to him, knelt right to his level and told him while looking directly in his eyes, "We do not throw fits. You do not say no. You listen." He looked at me pathetically and responded, "Sorry, mommy. Sorry. Uvvv you. Sorry."
And then, he was happy as pie. He can go from angry as a hornet to the happiest kid on the plant in a millisecond. Seriously.
So, that's a small rundown of how it's been since we've been home. Eli thinks he's Mister Big Stuff and Silas has been whinier than all get out. The good news is, I know if I remain consistent and don't allow their defiant behavior, they'll be back to their sweet selves in a day or so. Anyone want them in the mean time?
Kidding, kidding. I love them - even when they're messes. Maybe we'll just shoot for an early bed-time tonight. I think I may need it too!
1 Comments
So cute!! I totally know what you mean. You get back, and not only are they out of whack, but they aren't being entertained anymore like they are on trips. Fun stuff!! Summer is full of it!! Hope you guys are doing well!
ReplyDelete