School Days Continued - Day Two!
I know my little Eli well enough to know he would not want to go to school again this morning. After all, he still cries every week when we drop him off at Sunday School - and we even got called out of the service this past Sunday because he wouldn't calm down. I had no intentions of getting him all worked up this morning, because I knew he would cry all morning and I'm sorry - I didn't want to deal with it. However, he's no dummy either. I was getting him dressed and he looked up at me crying, "No school, momma, no school", knowing exactly what was going on. I just told him it'd be okay and moved on. When we arrived at school and approached the Preschool, he knew the obvious. Let's just say, he cried harder today than he did yesterday. I handed him over to Mrs. Lisa and walked away as quickly as I could, knowing deep down he'd be okay in a few minutes. It sure does pull at my heart strings though. I walked towards my office and headed down the hallway, as his cries echoed behind me.
After my morning meeting, I did a quick glance at the playground and snuck into my office. My office is directly across from the Preschool gate, so I see all the kids on the playground from my window. I feel like I have to tip toe around the place for awhile until Eli adjusts to his new little world. I know if he saw me, it would not be pleasant. But, I have peace of mind knowing I have plain view of him. In fact, I found myself peeping out my window every few minutes, observing his every move. He looked like such a little baby out there because a.) he is and b.) a lot of those kids are moving up to Kinder in two weeks and seem huge in comparison!
Today was water day, so it was even more fun to see exactly what he was doing. My heart about melted when I looked out and saw Silas grab him by the hand and take him around the playground to check out the pools and slip and slide. I wish I could have heard what Silas was saying to his little brother in that moment, while walking hand in hand. In my mind he telling him everything was okay while showing him the ropes. What a sweet big brother! Seriously - I couldn't have been more proud. You know those moments where your heart is simply beaming? It was definitely one of those feel good kind of moments.
The best part was when I picked Eli up. He literally ran to me screaming, "SCHOOL!! FUN!" with the biggest grin on his face. It really puts my heart at ease knowing he really is having a great time. Call me pessimistic, but I had prepared myself for the worst due to his behavior at church. I know he typically calms down pretty quickly - but it's just the hardest thing in the world to leave your baby when he's crying crocodile tears and pathetically calling out, "Momma!"
Hooray for another successful day. I'm so proud of my little Eli and my Silas, for being such a sweet big brother.
0 Comments