teachable moments.

To be honest, I often struggle with the balancing act of protecting my kids, versus letting them grow.  Of course, when they hurt, I hurt.  My natural inclination is to protect them from any and all pain.  Yet, that isn't reality.  The real world is full of real problems, real hurt, and real pain.  It's simply unavoidable.  Keeping my children in a bubble or unrealistic view of what life isn't will only hurt them in the long run.  Not that I have this whole parenting thing down, but I'm definitely learning as I go and I just had one such teachable moment.  

The other day, Silas came home from school devastated and had determined that he no longer wanted to go to soccer.  Turns out, someone had told him that he was horrible.  It broke his heart.  The momma bear in me wanted to say, "It's okay, honey - you don't have to ever go back."  And, that would be the easy thing to do.  It'd be easier to just give in and let him stop, rather than watch him struggle and have to tell him, "I'm sorry, but you still have to go."

It's such a learning moment.  When he told me the story of what happened, I asked him, "How did that make you feel?" and tried to turn it on him so as to say - that was not okay, but you can learn from it.  It teaches you how to treat or not treat other people.  Though my kids certainly aren't perfect either, and say unkind things as well, I'm constantly reminding them to treat others as they want to be treated.  

It also teaches us to be gracious.  I had the sweetest, kindest, heart shaped note delivered to me today to give to Silas.  It read, on the front, "Your the best.  Nice Goals Silice."

On the inside, it read, 

"Sorry Silice that I said that your not good at soccer but you are.  Do you remember when you scored a goal.  that was a great Goal that Goal was even better than my Goals.  we need you.  Love, _____"

Melt. my. heart.  



And yet another teachable moment.  As sad as that comment made him feel, it is necessary for him to be gracious with this person.  Even when we mess us - and we will - we should always do the right thing.  When I showed Silas the note, I could tell he was a little embarrassed, yet also beaming.  As he walked off, I reminded him, "you need to make sure you tell your friend today that you forgive her."  And, I know he will.

Grace, you guys.  I'm working on it too - daily.  Sometimes I feel like parenting is my greatest teacher.  How can I say one thing to my children, yet not live it?  Thought provoking, for sure.

"Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."  Colossians 3:13-14

0 Comments