an encounter with a germaphobe.

"EEEEWWWW!!  Get your mouth OFF that!  Eww, Eww, EWW!  GROSS!  GERMS.  Do you KNOW how many germs are on that?  EWWWW!"

In my mind, I'm thinking, "Could you please just pass, already?"

I was at Target only minutes ago with my three boys.  You know how Target can be on a Saturday?  Just busy, but you need to be there, so you gracefully get through it.  I had finally checked out and was ready to walk out the door.  The only problem was there a lady {who was casually strolling along at at snail's pace past the exit} that I needed to let pass by before we could exit the store.  Jeremiah was in the front of the cart, Silas was standing right in front of me with his hands on the handle of the cart and Eli was holding my left hand.  All things considering, they were being angels - minding their own business, patiently waiting along with me.  You know how sometimes you can just be in a zone?  Well, it was one of those moments.  I was there, yet kind of in my own little world as I waited, my thoughts spinning a million miles an hour.  Because of this, it took me a few moments to realize that the hold up for this woman was my child.  Yes, MY child.  I looked down and Silas was leaning forward on the cart, with his lips pressed on the handle.  


As she proceeded to lecture my kid, I just looked at her.  I couldn't even think of anything to say.  I turned my lips up in a semi grin and said, "come on, boys".  Though on the outside I was cool as a cucumber, my brain was like, "WHAT?  Really?  Excuse me?"

Let me say, there's not a lot of things that bug me.  People are people and just whatever.  Everyone has their own opinion about things.  I am so not a germaphobe.  I never have been.  You'd think I would be, due to my Type A, sometimes OCD tendencies.  I'm not gonna let my kid lick the ground or a toilet seat, but come on - for the most part, I'm like - whatever.  I don't walk around with antibacterial wipes or gel, making my kids wash their hands every three seconds.  They are going to be exposed to germs and everything is within reason.  BUT, what I do have an issue with is someone yelling at my child across the store.  There are ways to go about everything.  Had she said, "excuse me, you may not want your child to have his mouth on that", it most likely wouldn't have bothered me a bit.  I wouldn't have cared about his mouth being on said cart, but still, I probably would have responded, "oh okay, thanks for letting me know."  

Of course, this wasn't a big enough issue to even bother responding what I really thought to this lady, so I quietly left the building.  It may not have even warranted a blog post, but it just totally rubbed me the wrong way.  My point is - mind your own business!  Unless a child is in some sort of danger, let moms and dads parent own children.  If my child develops the flu or a horrible parasite, then you were right, lady in the dark blue maxi dress that loves to express your opinions on germs to strangers.  Since the odds are that my child most likely will not, let me worry about how sanitary or unsanitary my children are.  Thank you.

{as I step off of my box...}

Now that that's done, whew!  I am so glad it's the weekend.  We had such a great time last night at the Christian High football game with the boys and my two nieces.  The kids had an absolute blast running around under the bleachers, Maddy got the biggest kick out of watching the cheerleaders, and baby J loved the band.  The best part though, in my opinion, was the car ride.  OH. my. word.  You have got to youtube "What does the fox say?" if you have not heard this ridiculous song.  It is so dumb, it is hilarious.  I mean, it was on repeat in the car the entire way there and back.  The bass was a blaring and the kids were laughing hysterically, singing at the top of their lungs and dancing some pretty awesome moves.  What a memory.  Have you ever heard it said that the best part of memories are making them?  Well, this was one for the books.  I may have never laughed so hard in my life.  These kids {and maybe myself} were getting down.  I brought the girls back to their Mom around 9:30 p.m. all wired up and I'm sure it may have taken them a little time to settle down and go to bed.  You're welcome, SIL!  


It's been a super productive Saturday so far, and now the boys and I are just hanging out relaxing while Dusty is in LA for The Bishop's football game today.  I have a photo shoot later this evening, but other than that - no plans!  Eli is currently fishing for bugs {by bug, I mean Jeremiah}{I'm not sure I can even explain what that means}{you'd just have to see it} and Silas is watching science videos on the iPad.  I'm thinking maybe a little nap is in order?  Wouldn't THAT be nice!  Not likely, but nice.

In any case, here's some photos from yesterday and today.

Baby J found my printer button.  Off and on, off and on, off and on... 
Kindergarten is still SO exhausting to him! 
Friday night lights with this guy!  And, well - ringpops make everything awesome. 
My knight, my crank ball of a baby yesterday afternoon and my KING.  He thought since Silas was a knight, he could be the king and I could be the queen.  #meltmyheart.

3 Comments

  1. I just love that you had a little soap box rant....they ALWAYS makes one feel better! Poor Lady, her Mama must have forgot to teach her that part of the lesson on manners! lol I am not sure I would have been as gracious as you...I would hope, just not sure that would be the case! ;-)

    You and your precious family are sooo adorable and I love that you let us have a peek into your world!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I started my blog when Eli was a baby so there's LOTS of reading material if you ever get bored ;)
      ha! had I realized what was happening I may have said *something* - it's one of those things where after the fact you think of a million things you could've said!! but maybe good my brain doesn't react that fast!!! in any case, it made for a funny story!

      Delete
  2. Oh, and I will be going to youtube! That looks like total FUN!!! =)

    ReplyDelete