easter celebrations

The older the boys get, the more fun the holidays get.  Take Christmas, for instance.  The first couple of years you get them gifts, but they don't understand anything that's going on and you end up opening everything.  You're basically just going through the motions.  Around three, they kind of start to get it.  At four - complete understanding.


This year, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were bigger than life.  It's so adorable, because this phase is so short lived.  They still live in their imaginary land where the concept of a bunny visiting your house during the night to give you candy and Easter eggs makes complete sense.  And - oh the anticipation!  Their joy is simply priceless.


Now, I know there's differing options on whether or not it is "okay" or "not okay" to teach our kids these traditions.  Some people choose to not celebrate in this way, because it's not the reason that we, as Believers, celebrate said holidays.  However, we've made it a point to make sure our children do know the true reason for why we celebrate.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest to see them get excited about Santa bringing them a gift on Christmas morning or to hunt for Easter eggs left by the Easter bunny.    


Case in point - the other night we had gone out to dinner with Grammy & Pappy.  We were at our favorite spot, Souplantation, and the boys always finish off their meal with a mini ice cream cone topped with sprinkles.  When I went to fix Eli's cone, there were no sprinkles to be found.  Of course, this was the first thing he noticed.


"Mom!  Where are my sprinkles?"

"Sorry, Eli.  They were all out of sprinkles."

With a very sad face he said, "awwwww.  I love sprinkles."

Grammy chimed in trying to turn the conversation around, "I think maybe the Easter Bunny hopped in here at night and took the sprinkles for all his cookies and cupcakes."

"Well, someone needs to tell him they are NOT his and he's not supposed to do that!"

"Oh, well you better be nice to the Easter Bunny so he'll leave you some eggs!"

"Oh, Grammy.  That's not why we celebrate Easter.  Easter is not about the Easter Bunny.  It's about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins."


Did I mention he is three years old?  I shared in my post the day of their school Easter parties that on the way to school {in the midst of knowing he was about to have a party, hunt Easter eggs and play games all day}, he wanted to make sure I knew the story of Jesus dying on the cross.  Though he had been anticipating his party all week, he wanted to make sure I knew the story.  This is another reminder to me that life is so much about balance.  


Anyway, all of that being said - we had a fun Easter.  I did wake up feeling completely horrible and was downing the Dayquil all day - but there was no way I wanted to ruin their fun.  We woke up early and the boys hunted eggs and explored their Easter baskets.  Afterwards, we went to church and then to Dusty's aunt & uncle's house for lunch and swimming.  It was "opening day" of their pool and the boys were absolutely thrilled for the first swim of the season.  I think they could have swam all night and day.  Keeping in mind I didn't feel well, I wasn't my typical camera happy self, but I did manage getting video of them in the morning.  I think it's pretty cute :)  Oh, and I did snap a total of like 5 pictures.  The boys would not cooperate and look at the camera in their cute little outfits.  The best photo I got of Silas was him holding one of Uncle Bill and Aunt Jen's chickens.  He was adorable, running and chasing it down so he could hold him.  He was beyond proud when he caught said chicken!


Without further ado, enjoy the video HERE!  




0 Comments