Rude Lady -- An Obnoxious Encounter
Okay, all you mom's out there. Let's have a discussion -- what's the appropriate way to deal with another mom at a public place, who is "disciplining" or talking about your kid?
First of all, I am super conscious of how my kids are behaving. Where I stand is I wouldn't dare say a word to another kid about how they're behaving (or misbehaving, rather) -- that's simply not my place. I'm not sure I'd even approach another mom about her child - even if he's being a complete stinker. Rather, I'd probably pick another spot for my boys to play. I'll avoid conflict at all cost. Today's events of which I'll explain were simply and utterly unfounded.
Sooo, we ventured out to My Kid's Clubhouse for the first time today. Awesome place. The boys had a blast.
We were minding our own business and I couldn't help but notice this one mom in particular. Heck - you couldn't miss her. I heard every thought she had throughout the entire 3 hours we were there. She spoke so loud it was obnoxious. It didn't help that there were probably only 10 other people in the entire place. From here on out, we'll call her "Rude Lady" and her son will be "hooligan". Anyways - my boys were completely minding their own business. Silas was attempting the zip line and was having a bit of a difficult time, as he kept falling off. Hooligan noticed and began copying Silas - except he was jumping, not falling. Rude Lady yelled to Hooligan, "Hey, Hooligan! Stop playing 'monkey see, monkey do'. That kid is not doing it right and you're gonna hurt yourself. He's doing it wrong. Just stop it."
Ummm, okay. Let's insult my child, who's completely minding his own business. By the way, we figured out that there were two zip lines and the one Silas was attempting didn't work so well. This zip line wasn't as fast and kept getting stuck in the middle, so he couldn't hold on. He was certainly not acting like a monkey and throwing himself around. He was bound and determined to make his way all the way across. Silas is extremely hard on himself anyway, which is why it bothered me that she commented on how he was doing it the wrong way. Thanks Rude Lady for helping boost his self esteem a notch --- a notch down.
Later, Eli and I were playing in the balls. Hooligan came over and started chanting, "Hey you. You get out. You get out of there. You get out.", to which Eli responded, "I not get out. I play. I not get out." I have no problems admitting my children are not perfect and if he were being whiny or obnoxious about it, I would have said something. In fact, I did mention to him that it was okay and to just play - but he was just happily stating in a sing song voice that he was playing. Rude Lady interjects, "Stop copying him. He started it and you just need to stop. You DON'T have to get out. But if he's gonna act like that, you can just go play somewhere else." Hooligan did not listen. Hooligan climbed on into the ball structure and started throwing them at my face. Rude Lady didn't say a word. I quietly got up and left.
Later, my kids and Hooligan were running around - Hooligan following after Silas and Eli who were playing "Robots" together. Eli was squealing, "Ahhhhh!!! There's a dangerous robot!! A GIANT, dangerous Robot after me. Silas is the Robot. Ahhhhh!!!" All the sudden Rude Lady yells, "Hey you! You're being mean. You stop that." She was speaking to Silas. Let me just say again - my kids are not perfect. There have been MANY times I have had to sit Silas down in time outs and correct him while at a public place, playing with other kids. I will not let him get away with being bossy or inappropriate with another kid. But again - he wasn't doing anything. Seriously. Rude Lady yelled, "Hooligan. Just get down. Don't play with them. You don't let people be mean to you. They're just mean and we don't play with mean people."
Oh my gosh -- I wanted to slap her! She was beyond obnoxious, even when not bossing my kids around. Her poor coddled children are going to hate her one day. She even said to him at one point, "Hey Hooligan. We should go." Hooligan didn't want to. "Okay then. Well, whatever you want to do. If you want to stay, we will stay. If you want to go, we will go. Just look at the clock and tell me when you want to leave. I am okay with whatever, Hooligan."
So, here's my deal. I just left it alone. I mean, I'm not gonna start a fight at My Kid's Clubhouse, but she had no right. She only spoke directly to my kid once - most of her remarks were aimed at her child, about my kid - loud enough for everyone to hear. I wanted to just say, "Hey, if you have something to say, say it to me", but I refrained.
Arrrrghhhh!! I often wish I were more assertive, but again - I don't want to act foolish either. Seriously, what is wrong with people? In the end I figured she was the one making herself look like an idiot - why stoop to her level? I guarantee she's at home thinking the same thing about me -- How dare that stuck up lady allow her little brats to bully my precious Hooligan. What has the world come to?
Despite Rude Lady, we had a blast. However, we couldn't escape from her loud, annoying self fast enough.
Any thoughts? Have you ever had a crazy interaction with a stranger and what would you do/say?? I need feedback, people!















1 Comments
There are NO words. Oh my. Although I'm not a mom, I've encountered similar situations with babysitting for other people's kids at a park or play place. I went up to a lady once who was correcting "my kid" and asked her what exactly he was doing wrong so that I can correct him properly so that she could stop doing it for me. But that's just me... My all-time most annoying scenarios at parks are when a mom would tell me that "my child" was running off the playground and that I need to keep a better eye on her. Little did she know that I had 3 others the same age to watch over.... Argh.....
ReplyDeleteHooligans raise hooligans.