What have we heard come out of Silas' mouth literally a thousand times?
"Mom, I really, really, really want a pet." He will take anything -- a dog, a kitten, a garden snake, a lizard, a turtle, a baby crocodile, a bird -- the list goes on and on. I would love to get that boy a pet. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea where we'd put it. We are maxed out on space for even an aquarium and there's no way anything furry is entering this condo. I have a hard enough time cleaning up after two little boys, much less a four legged creature. I don't want the smell, I don't want the hair, I don't want the chaos that it would bring in this small space. One day we'll have more square footage - and a yard -- until then, my heart goes out to the little guy. Oh, and p.s. Dusty and I both wholeheartedly agree on this subject matter. I'm not just being petty.
Dum da da duuuuummmm. Daddy to the rescue. After watching the Ant Bully, an idea came to him. How about an ant farm? Genius, right? Silas is the type of kid that would love something like that and it. is. small. He found a super cool one that uses gel and led lights. You simply poke a few holes in the gel and the ants create their own tunnel. Getting all the ants in the farm was a process. There were several Houdini's who kept slipping out somehow. After some teamwork and a few screams, we managed to get all the ants in and the lid tightly snapped. Success.
The ants have been in their new home about 2 hours now and boy are they hard workers. I am actually fascinated by it. Silas is a bit irked they haven't build a massive tunnel already -- but their progress is amazing. They're super diligent and working together. I think they'll have a whole tunnel system in two days. Updates to come...
We asked the boys if they wanted to name the ants. Silas wanted to name all the ants "One Hundred" and Eli wanted to name one ant "Babies". So we have lots of "One Hundred's" and one "Babies".
Without further ado, here are our One Hundred Babies.
 |
| The farm and the ants. |
 |
| Ants in a tube. |
 |
| "woah!" |
 |
| Get in there, ants! |
 |
| awesome. |
 |
| ants with no tunnels. *see below. |
 |
| magnification. |
 |
| dinner with the ants. |
 |
| one hour-ish. |
 |
| 30 minutes later. |
0 Comments