"LemoNemesis"
Today was the day. The Cookie Party. If you read my previous blog regarding the party, "And the Crown Goes To..., you'll know I was pretty excited about the big event. Also, as stated, that I am apparently ridiculously competitive regarding cookie competitions. Not that I've ever been in any other cookie competitions, just this one.
Growing up, I loved to bake. I remember getting up on Saturday mornings and either making or helping my dad make cinnamon rolls. I would bake cookies and cheesecake and bring it up to the church office, where my mom worked. It was just something I loved to do.
I don't bake all that often anymore. But, the Cookie Party is right up my alley.
So today, I went to work, went for my run and came home to finish up my cookies. I made my sample batch that would be used for tasting and packaged my cookies. I certainly was lacking in the packaging area this year - I used Ziploc bags. Creative, I know. Just to clarify, there are three categories: Best Packaging, Prettiest Cookie and Best Tasting (Cookie Queen). My obvious goal is Best Tasting.
On the way to the party, Silas said, "Mommy, I sure do really want to go to the party." We had already had this discussion. "I'm sorry Silas. The party is only for girls. But, you get to go play at Pappy's house. Yay!! It'll be so fun." This was clearly not enough reasoning for him. He replied, "Mommy, why doesn't Aunt Jen want boys to come to the party? Is it because some boys stink?" I seriously love that kid.
I dropped the boy's off at Pappy's and picked up Mel and Zoe. Mel made a chocolate cookie with peanut butter frosting and a surprise on the inside - bacon! Her cookies were super cute in tiny flower shapes, packaged lovely and quite tasty. The competition wasn't on until after we arrived at the party. I was minding my own business and I heard someone question, "Well, where are Melissa's cookies?" I walked over to the cookie table and noticed Mel's place card with the name of her cookie, "Better than Melissa's". Seriously, Mel? You're gonna mess with me? Okay, game on.
Since I had forgotten to fill out my place card, I did so then. I chose "Mel's LemoNemesis". I thought it was quite clever. I don't think there's need for an explanation, but just in case - Lemon + Nemesis (Enemy) = LemoNemesis. So, basically it was the same idea as Mel's, "Mel's enemy" but much more original, if I do say so. Love you Mel!
So as the night went on, the two of us basically were in competition with one another, seeing who could get the most votes. There was no shame. After all, the best campaign wins, right?
And then the votes were cast.
The judges went into the secret chamber to count the votes.
Dum da da Dum.
I would love to tell you who won Best Packaging and Prettiest Cookie, but I don't remember their names. There were a TON of people at the party, a lot of whom I had never met.
And Best Tasting goes to....
"It's a Three-peat!"
That means I won. Three years in a row. I get the green velvet cape for another year.
And now I have a whole year to deliberate my next cookie...
For any concerned about my competitive cookie nature, don't worry. I really do have it under control. The party is seriously so much fun. Not to mention, people probably see a different side of me, as I'm not typically the outgoing one of the bunch. In any case, had I not won, I still would have been a good sport. It's really all in good fun. Thanks Aunt Jen, for hosting this every year. I am so glad you guys started this tradition and we all get to be a part of it now. And p.s, I voted for you for prettiest cookie. I hope that's not supposed to be confidential :)
0 Comments