Just a Boy and a Girl
The whole concept of falling in love or "liking" someone is fascinating to me. Especially, young love or "puppy" love.
I liked my share of boys growing up. However, I was painfully shy so it didn't really matter. If I would've even had the courage to actually talk to one of them, I guarantee I would have been so nervous I may not have made any amount of since in the first place. I'm still kind of that way in the sense that if I don't know someone really well, I just don't always know what to say - no matter how much I wish I did. But yeah, I went on a total of 3 dates before meeting Dusty. Yes, count 'em - 1...2...3. Awesome. And on two of those "dates" there was actually a tag-a-long, so I'm not sure if they can even go under the category of "date". It was sad, really. But enough of my pathetic, date-less high school and college experience and onto the scene that entailed today that got me thinking about all of this anyway.
I was walking to the lunch area at the Preschool where I pick up Silas every single day. I noticed that basically everyone was finished with their lunches and playing on the playground. I didn't see Silas, so I kept walking to the lunch area to pick up his net bag and lunch box. There I saw him. There were maybe 4 kids still eating their lunches, two of them sitting off by themselves. And there was Si, with his back turned away from me. He was totally chatting it up with a cute little blonde. His arms were moving, she was smiling and I knew he must have been telling her something super important. A boy sitting nearby said, "Silas, your Mommy is here!" He turned around and grinned at me, sheepishly. The girl was eyeing me too - I wonder what she was thinking. She also offered me a silly little grin.
We made our way to my office and after a few minutes I asked him, "Hey, Silas. Who were you eating lunch with today?" Totally hearing me, but not looking at me, he said, "Mom, don't you love my cool truck?"
Oh, what a sly little guy. He wasn't getting away that easy.
"Yes, Silas. That's a really cool truck. But, that's not what I asked. Who was your friend you were eating with?"
Without a beat he replied, "Mom, don't you really like my truck?"
Again, "Yes, Si, I do. But please answer me."
He grinned. "A giiiiirrllll."
He was totally embarrassed. He wouldn't answer any other questions directly, only nodded his head and grinned- not so innocently, I might add.
Later, I was telling Dusty about it. I so happened to have a photo of her, from taking the school Christmas pictures. I told Dusty, "Watch this.", pulled the image up fullscreen on my monitor and called Silas in the room. He saw it immediately.
I asked, "Hey, Silas. Can you tell me who this is?"
He smiled, embarrassed, and ran to hide behind the door. I asked teasingly, "Do you think she's prettttty?" He nodded his head "yes" with a huge grin.
Okay, I admit. Maybe I was torturing my kid - but it was entertaining. I'll just be one of those parents living my life through my kids, pushing them to excel in all the things I was horrible at. Kidding, kidding. But really, what parent hasn't teased their child regarding a cute little boy or girl at some point?
Oh to be a 4 year old with a crush on a fellow preschool "friend". He's gonna be a stud one day. Girls, watch out. But also please make note that he is not allowed to date until he's 20. Sorry, ladies. :)
1 Comments
Dating is over-rated as you used to say. I love the special way God made my daughter. I wonder what would have been different if you weren't shy. Maybe you qould have dated loads of silly teenaged boys, maybe a cheerleader? But would you have been the spiritual thinker; would you havw attended MBI; would we have the same relationship? One thing that I always have loved about you is the ability to listen. That is a rare gift. Although I am "quiet" I can't say I have always been a good listener. Some food for thought
ReplyDeleteI believe you had more dates than I did before your dad. After almost 33 years, I did pretty great. Factor in the family God has given and we are blessed beyond measure.
YES, I am still one of your biggest fans! But for the record, melissa's lack of dates in college was partially by choice.