A Dumb Blonde Moment - Or Series of Moments, Rather...

You know, I'd like to think I'm a smart person - in any case, at least I'm not stupid.  I have a college degree, plenty of common sense, am a wife and mom, an employee, etc, etc.  I typically have no problems following directions.  After all, I put together Silas' bike, the boy's bunk bed, numerous items of furniture that required assembly, etc.  It's just in my nature.  I'm a perfectionist and I follow instructions to a T.  Why would I try something on my own, when clearly the instructions are all I'll need?  


Not so much today.  I felt like a 13 year old girl - make that a blonde 13 year old girl.  "Omg!  I am like totally serious right now."  


Let me explain.  Eli had another follow up appointment today regarding his ear tubes.  The Audiology department that used to be located at the hospital, was moved to a new facility.  That's okay - I have my TomTom.  Being the practical and organized person that I am, I logged onto the Kaiser website last night to look up the address and punched it directly into the TomTom app on my iPhone.  The appointment was at 10:45 a.m. so I picked up my boys up from school at 10:00 a.m. so I'd have plenty of time to make it.  In fact, I would be early.  


I turned on my Glee music, turned on the TomTom app and plugged my iPhone into my car adapter so it would play over my speakers.  I proceeded to follow the directions as they were spoken to me.  I got off the freeway, and began turning on the side streets, noticing I was almost there.  I turned onto the street the facility was located (or so I thought) and I saw the Kaiser building.  I pulled in, got both kids out of the car, walked all the way through the parking lot and inside, went up to the 4th floor and was told I was not in the right place.  The lady gave me instructions to where I was supposed to go, which was apparently right down the street.  I trucked all of us back down to the car (very quickly I might add) and loaded the boys back in their car seats.  I followed the directions on the page to the new location (or so I thought) and proceeded to get my kids back out of the car and into the building.  I must have looked confused upon entering the elevator, and a nice lady asked if I needed help.  She said there were Kaiser offices in that particular building, but this was not the location I was looking for.  She also told me this was a common problem.  Hmmm, these people really need to get their act together, right?  Sending me to the wrong place with two kids is just not okay!  I packed everyone back in the car and drove down the road to the correct Kaiser building.  I pulled in the parking lot and unloaded the kids again.  We started walking towards the building and I realized there was a fence surrounding this lot.  There was no way around it and I couldn't climb over it.  I was not in the Kaiser parking lot.  I packed the kids back in the car and made my way to the parking garage.  Grrrr.   I eventually checked in and made it to where I needed to be (about 15 minutes late, I might add.)


By this point, I was a bit aggravated and out of breath from rushing around like crazy while getting the kids in and out of the car 4 times.  So, as Eli's appointment was wrapping up, I explained to the doctor what had happened.  Obviously if this was the case, then it needed to be figured out.  He asked if I had the piece of paper they gave me, but I didn't.  He offered to walk down to my car to get it, so the problem could be rectified.


We walked all the way to my car.  I grabbed the piece of paper off the front seat and glanced at it again.  I immediately realized the correct address was on there.  Apparently I was mistaken and they did not send me to the wrong place.  I was embarrassed, but still, the website sent me to the wrong location in the first place, right?!  I felt horrible and really bad that he had walked all the way to my car when I was totally and completely wrong!  He told me when I got home to log back on to the Kaiser site, look at the address, take a screen shot and e-mail it to him.  If there's a problem in the system, then it needs to be fixed.


I got home and looked at the address.  Ummm, it was correct.  Yes, I said CORRECT!   At this point, I am mortified.  Seriously, I am really not that dumb.  How the heck did I do this?


I looked at both addresses and the first place I went to was on Convoy.  The place I was supposed to go to was located on Copley.  My only explanation is that they are obviously similar, especially when I'm quickly glancing down as I'm driving. When I saw the Kaiser sign, I must have assumed I was in the correct place.  Turns out the other building was only about 1/2 mile down the road.  I still can't explain how I messed up the other directions.  Either I am completely losing it, or am in desperate need of sleep.


Seeing that the past three nights I have barely gotten any sleep, due to the kids and myself being sick, I have no choice but to blame it on that.  Last night I'm not sure I ever fell asleep.  I tossed and turned all night and woke up with a massive headache.  Apparently, I need a nap.  Or, I am turning into an idiot.  Either way, I am seriously embarrassed.


{Sigh}


I guess all I can do is laugh about it now.  

0 Comments