Walmart

What is it about Walmart that completely turns me off?  It's a rare occasion that I make an appearance there - not that I am a snob, I am just devoted to the ever so wonderful Target.  For some reason unbeknownst to me, I had the urge to go today.  So, I went.  I had just finished running at the lake and was wearing my running clothes, my Vibram Five Fingers and a cardigan since it was chilly out.  The point is, I looked ridiculous.   

The parking lot was amazingly crowded, as usual.  I eventually found a spot and unloaded my kids, Eli still half asleep.  We walked in and began browsing.  It's unlikely you'll ever go to Walmart without running into at least one crazy person or creeper.  We all know it - there's some interesting characters there.  We saw several.  The worst is when they try and talk to your kids.  Seriously, please let us be.  I only desire to get my things and go.

However, we didn't last long.  Eli had just woken up with a runny nose and was unusually cranky.  His eyes looked a bit glassy and he sounded stuffed up.  This caught me off guard because he was completely fine earlier.  He said, "I sick momma, I sick."  I asked if he needed medicine and he replied, "Yes, momma.  I need medicine.  I sick."  We went down the elevator and I stopped by the Pharmacy section to pick up some Tylenol.  Then, off to the check out we went.  How is it that there are 50 lanes open, all with lines?  I went to the shortest line I could find and waited.  When I was able, I put my things on the conveyor belt.  After the cashier was finished with the person in front of me, she kindly greeted me.  I said, "hello, how are you?" and then turned to Eli when he asked me something.  She suddenly asked, "Are these yours????"

I turned, thinking she was questioning the items on the conveyor belt.  I quickly realized she was referring to the boys.  I said, "Yes, they're mine."  She jumped back - literally.  Her jaw dropped.  "Both of 'em??"  I was a bit perplexed as to who's kids she thought they were.  Who else would they belong to?  


I nicely replied, "Yes, they're both mine."


"Guuurl!  Are you serious?  WOW.  I don't even have kids and look at you.  Wow, I'm so much bigger than you. {patting her tummy}  What do you do?"


I uncomfortably let out a little laugh and said, "Oh, I run."


"Run?  Boy, I bet they make you run, huh?  Oh man.  What am I gonna do?  I'm gonna have to start running now.  I just can't believe it.  I don't even have kids."


We finished the transaction and she put my things in our cart and said her goodbyes.  She really was super friendly - especially in comparison to the normal cashier that may or may not even grant you with a "hello".  It's bad when you're amazed that you even got a greeting in the first place.  Customer service is a thing of the past.  When I first moved to Chicago I was shocked - appalled.  Everyone in Texas is so friendly.  When I worked at a grocery store as a teenager, we were required to greet every single person that walked through the door.  I yelled, "Hello.  Come In!" all day long.  I carried on conversations with every customer.  This was expected.  Not so much in Chicago.  Not so much in San Diego.  When I visit Texas, I am often taken aback at the friendliness.  Now, that almost seems a tad bit uncomfortable, because I'm not used to it.  Funny how you adjust.  But sometimes I wonder, what is better?  Would you prefer someone that is doing their job - and just that - no extra effort.  They don't care to talk to you and you're in no particular mood to talk anyway.  Or, have someone "perform", almost like a robot, telling you to "Come in" when you're already in the store and then asking you all sorts of questions when you just want to pay for your food and go.  

I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore.

All I know, is Eli just said, "Look momma.  I washing my hands.  Look it - Yogurt!"  He currently has Yoplait covering his hands, rubbing them together as if washing them with soap.   And, his tray is also covered.  Seriously.  Tonight, we may to refer to him as "Dufus", the term of endearment he rightly earned.

Earlier he was walking around the house singing, "Thank you, Jesus.  Thank you Jesus." with his hands folded and eyes closed.  He walked into several walls, but continued with his eyes closed.  I think they must sing it before lunch at school.  I guess they forgot to tell him not to pray with your eyes closed while also walking.

But, that's okay.  I was just heating up some chili.  I thought I grabbed the chicken broth.  I only intended to pour a bit in just to thin it out a touch.  I noticed it looked funny.  It was soy milk.  Oops.  I'll let you know how soy milk chili turns out.  Wanna join us for dinner? 

1 Comments

  1. I know that I live in TX so maybe I'm a bit prejudiced but I do like southern hospitality. Having visited a Lot of other places I just enjoy people being friendly. And for the record E is not a Dufus:)

    ReplyDelete