Goodbye Crib.

Today is a monumental day.  Today, there is no longer a crib in my house.

Let me just say, Eli has been sleeping with Silas in the big boy bed for a few months now.  Technically, the crib hasn't been used in awhile, but I still didn't have to part with it.  It still stared me in the face every single time I walked into the room.  We finally ordered a bunk bed and it'll be here in a day or so.  So today, I had to organize.  I came home, took the crib apart and packed up the bedding.  I packed the little stuffed animals that have been in the crib since Silas was a baby.  I packed the bedding that we got Silas when Eli was born, so their bedding would match.  I took most things off the wall.  The room will officially be a "big boy room".

We have new bedding, new beds and I'm working on an idea in my head to create a photo wall of the boys.  This will be implemented soon, but I need to see the bed in the room first.  

This is the second time the crib has been removed from the room.  There was a brief period of time after we switched Silas to the big boy bed before I was pregnant.  Somehow packing it up then didn't seem so hard.  I guess in the back of my mind I knew I'd see it again.  This time, I don't really know.  This time, it's kind of sad.

I know there will be lots of phases of my kids growing up.  There will be other monumental events.  There's the small things like putting Eli in clothes that Silas used to wear.  It always makes me a bit sad thinking how big Silas has gotten and that he used to fit in the clothes Eli is wearing now.  There will be bigger events, like beginning Kindergarten, getting a driver's license and graduating from high school.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be a downer.  Dwelling on the past will not bring it back.  Wishing I could keep them little will not stop them from growing.  All I can do is cherish the moments.  

So, as I sat on the floor, unscrewing the screws one by one - I cannot say my heart didn't sink just a little bit.  Eli was taking a nap on my bed and Silas was "helping me" take the two beds apart.  The room was absolute chaos, cluttered with bedding, toys, clothes and other fun stuff that had been stored under the beds.  In a matter of hours, the room was neat and tidy again.  I left a single mattress on the floor until the new bed arrives.  The boys later came in the room, laughing playing and jumping on the mattress.  There was also some wrestling and antagonizing.  Such boys!  

I have the two cutest, sweetest little boys a mom could dream of.  I am truly blessed and fall more in love with them by the day - maybe by the minute (If you haven't already figured that out from my blog!).  Even if it is the end of an era (?) I couldn't ask for more.  Thank you God, for my two amazing little men.  They fill my heart and my home with fun, joy, laughter and sometimes tears.  I had no idea what being a mom would be like or how it would change my life for the better.  All I can say is I have a very special place in my heart for my boys that is indescribable.  My heart grew immeasurably on the days that they were born.

1 Comments

  1. It's wonderful when parents realize @a young age how important it is to cherish the moments. They pass quickly but you cherish the moments and they are forever inscribed on your heart . Maybe that's why grandchildren are so special - you get a chance to relive those moments. It is such a joy to see God's grace when your kids are grown, serving Him and being a parent. I'm so humbled when I watch my kids llove their kids:). God is SO good!

    ReplyDelete