Being "BIG" and Priceless Moments

The other morning on the way to school, Silas told me, "Mommy, I want to be big like you so I can be a pilot. I don't want to be little - I want to be BIG!" Lately he's all into the fact that he wants to fly "Maverick" airplanes and be a pilot. He's actually said this for awhile now, but more recently he has been much more persistent about it. To follow his train of thought, he loves Top Gun and Tom Cruise's character is obviously named Maverick, hence the term "Maverick airplanes". In some cases we use this information to our advantage, such as "Silas, eat your peas because pilots eat peas. You need muscles to be a pilot." We are constantly telling him that Iron Man, Batman, Buzz Lightyear and Superman eat all sorts of fruits and veggies to make them strong. They also take their Iron Man Vitamins in the mornings, to which Eli screams, "muscles!!" He loves his "muscle medicine." We have found this persuasion can be helpful. Or maybe sometimes it'll get us in trouble. I used this tactic the other day trying to get Silas to eat something new and he temporarily decided he didn't want to be a pilot. Smart boy.




So as we were driving, I did my best to explain to Silas on four year old terms that he doesn't need to grow up too fast. Being little is fun, and comes with no responsibilities. Thinking about his little life sounds kind of nice - he has no worries or stress! The biggest thing he deals with is sharing with Eli or having to try some new food I put on his plate. It's funny how even at four, he cannot wait to be big. Really, doesn't it seem like we're always anticipating something? I distinctly remember growing up and wishing for this or that. We always think that some circumstance other than what we're currently in is the key to our happiness. I remember the days I longed to get married. And once I was married I longed for the day when we could have a baby. We spent two years in Chicago after we got married, with me finishing a year in school and Dusty finishing two. There was no possible way that I could get pregnant - but I found myself wishing. I've spent many moments anticipating the day we can get into a house so we have a little more room than our current condo - and a yard! But because of the economy we've sort of been in limbo, unable to sell. And now after this weekend, I just want to make the payments on our condo. Life is unexpected and unpredictable. Why do we spend so much time and energy anticipating the future or wanting something beyond what we currently have, rather than living in the moments? The moments are what's precious. I will never get back this day, or this moment. What will I choose to do with it? My kids will only get bigger and grow up faster than I can blink - am I enjoying each precious stage that they're in? I feel like I'm constantly reminding myself, "Take a minute and soak up this moment. Don't forget what this time in my life is like." That's part of the reason I like to blog. I don't want to forget the silly things my kids say and do. I want to remember the insignificant details of the fun times we have. I don't want to live in the past, but most certainly don't want to rush the future. So hold on little Silas, you have your whole life to be BIG. Just relax and enjoy your sweet four year old life. You've got it made, you just don't realize that yet.



In another topic, here's some funny conversations I've had with the boys today:



1. Snuggling next to Eli when he woke up this morning, I told him to go tell daddy, "good morning." He said to me, "Nope." Mind you, this was a very emphatic and confident, "Nope!" I asked him, "Why not, E?" His response - "cause." Really, little two year old?? Your answer is "cause."?? Seriously!? I couldn't help but laugh.



2. I heard Silas' bedroom door open while I was in the bathroom getting ready this morning. He walked into the bathroom, still rubbing his eyes, half asleep. He said to me, "Momma, I want to be a storm cloud for Halloween. I will walk around and I will rain on people."

Good grief kid, how does your little mind think of this stuff? I guess it'd be a simple costume to make, but I'm sure by Halloween he'll be fixated on one of his favorite superheroes. At least I know if I need a last minute back up, I can grab some poster board and markers and we'll be set.



3. I picked Silas up from school today and went back into my office for a minute. I sat down at my desk while he played with some toys. A few minutes later he came over to me and said, "Momma, can you make lots and lots of money, so I can get a bunk bed?" He has been wanting one for awhile and we keep telling him that it costs lots of money and we have to make some extra money first. So his idea is that we work harder! Then he said, "Momma, I will sleep on the top bunk and Eli will sleep on the bottom." He paused for a moment and said, "But how will we keep in in the bed?" Leave it to Silas to worry about this. Eli is still in his crib and I've got to either take the side rail off or get him in a big boy bed soon. But really, we've just been waiting on the bunk beds. Later, while Silas was going potty he suddenly screamed to me, "Momma! I have an idea! We will build a fence out of toys and that will keep Eli in his bed." If you know Silas, you know he has a crazy imagination. It's fascinating what he comes up with and says at times. It's to the point that nothing that comes out of his mouth really shocks me. But, he fills my days with laughter at his creativeness.


0 Comments