beach woes.

"Boys, we are going to the beach today."

From the moans and groans that followed, you'd have thought I was the worst mom ever.

Dusty came home from work today and asked the boys, "how was your day?"

One of my beautiful children stated, "worst. day. ever."

You know what was so horrible about his day?  I drug him to the beach.  Yes, the beach.  I have one child that absolutely loathes the beach and another that doesn't really care for it either.  How, I ask, is this possible?

Silas would inform me that, "I always get sunburned, it's too hot, and I hate the sand."  I understand the sand part, the sunburned part is absolutely not true, and well, if 75 degrees with a breeze and the sound of waves is too much for ya - I just don't know what to say.  

I've been trying to do something "fun" every day.  I want the boys to have a fun summer but I don't necessarily think they all have to agree on said activity or have the time of their lives every single day.  I knew the one wouldn't be excited about it, so I made sure I packed drinks, snacks, brought him a nice chair to relax in - and even a book to read.  Somehow, it was still dreadful.  He never got in the water, even though when he does - he has an absolute blast.  But, he at least took a peaceful little nap.

Eli also didn't want to get wet, but was at least on a mission to collect sea shells.  He's so cute because there's some toy he wants that costs $20.  He got his piggy bank out the other day to count his earnings -- $14 dollars.  He knew he needed six more dollars, so he's been asking for chores to do to earn money... relentlessly.  He hit me up for a buck fifty the other day for vacuuming, putting some clothes away, and helping me in the kitchen.  The same night he suckered Dusty into more money by watering the lawn and who knows what else.  We're just trying to find something for him to do because he's just so determined and willing to work.  Today he told me, "Mom, I'm collecting seashells.  I am selling them for one cent.  You can look them over, observe all the sides, and keep the ones you want.  You only have to pay me for the ones you keep.  You can throw any away that you don't like.  If you like we can drill some holes in them and make a necklace.  Please carefully look them over.  Use both hands and look at all the edges too."  

First of all, one cent.  I heart him.  Second, how could I throw any away?  To his surprise, I loved all of them.  He found a mini sand dollar that he charged a whopping five cents for.  That one nearly broke me.  

JJ and I were the only ones that got in the water.  At least he loves it.  He could stay in the waves all day long in absolute bliss.  The waves were crazy today, knocking him clear over several times - much to his delight.  Oh, the giggles!

Overall, I stand by my decision to go to the beach today - even thought it wasn't the easiest thing in the world.  I keep telling my kids that people travel from all over to vacation here.  That most people want to go to the beach.  I guess you take for granted the things that are "normal" for you.  I drove home so frustrated, but reminded myself that my attitude isn't always up to par either.  Life lessons, I tell ya.  We are definitely working on attitudes, perspective, and gratitude for our blessings. I certainly am not perfect in any of those areas, but appreciate teachable opportunities and reminders not just for them, but for me.      




0 Comments