We checked off an important "to do" with a house full of boys -- camping. We've "camped" in the backyard, we have a giant two-room tent and all the supplies, but have yet to actually go - until now. We had such a great time!
I asked the boys what their favorite part of camping was and they replied the following:
"Hiking. I thought it was fun. And...`the silence." - Silas
"GoING fishing." - Eli
"I like chocolate milk. Chocolate milk at camping. And climbing rocks." - JJ
We were only gone for about 48 hours, but 48 hours off the grid with no technology {okay, okay... we did cheat a little, having iPads and laptops for a movie at night..." - but there was no internet, no cell phone signal, no xbox, no e-mail, no Facebook, no Instagram, etc, etc.... you get the idea - was amazing. The only entertainment was us and the great outdoors. We climbed giant rocks, went hiking, went fishing, cooked everything on the fire {including spaghetti, toast, roasted veggies, hotdogs & sausage, s'mores}, relaxed in our hammock, the boys rode their bikes, we met our "neighbors", etc. The boys could not have had a better time and I'm sure will be begging to go again soon.
Some things I learned camping as a mom:
1. Don't bother making them change clothes. Seriously. They are covered in dirt regardless. It's everywhere.
2. Hats. Just wear them - all the time.
3. Forget about being or feeling clean and just enjoy it.
We went camping quite a bit when I was growing up and I'm not afraid to get dirty or be outdoors. I love the outdoors. I just also love showers. But, ya gotta live a little. I learned a lot about what to bring and what not to bring and will definitely be prepared for our next adventure. Here's to many more years of camping and countless memories.
 |
| We decided we need a hammock for each person... because we all wanted it! |
 |
| Doesn't get better than that... |
 |
They decided they wanted to be monsters and scare him.. but a picture first! |
 |
| On a hike we go. |
 |
| JJ loved climbing the rocks and wanted to do it "all by myself" |
 |
When the sun won't cooperate... go for a silhouette :) |
 |
| Ruling the world! |
 |
| Just... too cute. |
 |
| Eli saw this fence and said it would make a good picture. He wasn't sure what happened to it. |
 |
| Who even knows?! |
 |
| Boy on a mission. |
 |
I found a little measuring tape and he wanted to see if he is big enough for the train mountain at Disneyland {long story}{he means the Matterhorn} |
 |
| Still measuring. |
 |
| I guess he decided he was big enough. |
 |
| S'mores. |
 |
| They are boys... of course they love the fire! |
 |
| I mean, love it! |
 |
| Fishin' |
 |
Silas loved the worms. Eli thought it was cruel and wanted to get the fake worms and put the stuff that smells like worms on it. |
 |
He wanted to fish, so I made him his own pole. He kept saying, "MOMMY! Where's the FISH?!! I can't CATCH ANY!!!" |
 |
| But he tried really hard. |
 |
| And then we gave up on fishing and started exploring. |
 |
| Peter Pan was hiding in this tree... says JJ. |
0 Comments