to Silas {on your eighth birthday}

To Silas on your 8th birthday,

These are my favorite, yet some of the hardest posts to write.  Eight years old.  That's no joke, bud.  You're so big, so full of life, so special, and I couldn't be more pleased with the boy that you are.  I'll try to refrain from getting too sentimental, but that may prove to be difficult.  The time passes by ever so quickly and sometimes I wish I could make it stand still.  Yet at the same time, I could never wish that because I fall more in love with who you are becoming, with each passing day.  Time has a funny way of doing that to you.  You hate it, and yet you couldn't change it.  

It's such a joy to watch you grow.  You are really coming into yourself - you are smarter than your eight years could ever show, witty, sarcastic, fun-loving, and soft hearted.  I have always thought you to be an old soul, if you will.  You have wisdom beyond your years, compassion that can only be God given, and deeply love the people in your life.  You show it in the simplest of ways.  The other day you asked if I could buy some markers.  When I asked why, you said, "because {my teacher} desperately needs some new dry erase markers and I would like to give her mine."  You always think of your brothers, bringing them treats from school.  You are a giant help to me around the house.  If I ask you to do something, you do it without complaint, responding, "yes ma'am" before obediently completing said task.  You often ask how you can help me.  You love school, particularly science.  You adore your brothers.  Dad is your hero.  You are a self proclaimed nerd, because you love to learn.  You love video games and can create things in mine craft that make our jaws drop.  You're genius.  Your idea of fun is watching a documentary.  You desperately want an iPhone 5s and try to convince dad and me to add you to our plan.  You love to ice skate.  You are a Cub Scout.  You were in a commercial this year and thought it was the best.  You love sushi and are learning to try so many new foods.  You used to be the pickiest eater ever, but are arguably now my easiest.  You aren't super into sweets, but have quite the taste for salt.  Riding your bike is one of your favorite things and you have claimed it to be "your favorite Christmas gift" that you "didn't even know {you} wanted".  You love it so much, in fact, that you asked for a kick stand {you can't figure out why it didn't come with one} for your birthday, along with a speedometer and a bell to warn others you are coming from behind.  I gave you some headphones for Valentine's day and you also thought that was the best gift ever.  You are now "really interested in music".  You are obsessed with anything Mac and vehemently hate Microsoft.  You are so, so funny.  You mean the world to me.  

It's hard not to reminisce.  I love looking back at photos and videos of you.  If when I let myself, I can cry at the thought of what an amazing person you are, and how lucky I am to be your mom.  As my firstborn, you'll always hold such a special place in my heart, for you made me a mom.  In the beginning, you taught me so much, just you and I going at it together.  Trial and error, my boy - but it's made you all the better for it.  I'm sorry for the mistakes I've made and that you were the one that had shared the biggest part in teaching me.  I'm sorry that sometimes I'm hardest on you, expecting you to be much bigger than you are.  You know, one day you'll be grown and look back at your childhood experiences.  I pray that you will find you were loved, you were wanted, and you were special.  I could never write a post or pen the words in the exact right way to begin describing how much we love you.  You are an amazing boy, Silas Daniel Sniff.  You are loved - forever and for always, no matter what.  Don't you EVER forget it.

Here's some photos from the past year - year seven.

It all started here - February 19, 2013 at 11:06 a.m. -
the moment you turned 7!

You are fun. 
You are a proud bulldog! 
You are a smarty pants. 
You are still a momma's boy at heart, even though Dad is much cooler. 
You LOVE this baby. 
You are fearless. 
You love Papaw & Mamaw - and TEXAS. 
With mommy on California Screamin' - You are a thrill seeker. 

#truth 
You are funny.  And, nothing embarrasses you. 
Disneyland is our happy place. 
Your iPad holds part of your heart. 
Filming your commercial. 
Cub Scouts.

You lost a lot of teeth this year. 
You are a lizard, like mom.  You love the sun. 
Your first real letter. 
You love ice skating. 
Showing off your muscles. 
Making flubber - You love science.

And broccoli. 
You love swimming. 
And sleeping. 
And the Titanic - This is you at the Queen Mary. 
What you are projected to look like as an old man.
I love you with all my heart.  

Love, Mom



0 Comments