Valuable Lessons
Choices. Responsibilities. Consequences. All important things we must teach our children.
Today, Silas had a choice. I'm not really sure how this whole idea came about except that Silas came up with a "secret plan" yesterday. His accomplice? Daddy.
Yesterday morning I was trying to get out the door and head to work. Eli was right next to me and Silas was no where to be found {He's normally the first one out the door}.
"Silas? Silas? Silas?", I questioned. I walked back in my room and found him talking to Daddy. When I approached, he stopped talking, smirked and did "the secret handshake" with Dusty. I knew he had a secret, but I didn't know what it was. He talked about it all. day. long. Finally, last night, I asked Dusty what the "secret plan" was. He informed me that Silas wanted to go to work with him the following day. He's been before and thinks it the greatest thing ever.
Initially, in my mind there wasn't a choice. He had to go to school. Silas, however, was so excited and Dusty said he would take him. I explained to Silas before I left for work, "Silas. Daddy's job is his work. Mommy's job is her work. And do you know what YOUR job is? School. You are supposed to go to school. What will I tell Ms. Macasero?" He insisted it would be okay with her and that he wanted to go. I told him if he chose to go that first of all, it would only be this once and second, he would have to do all his missed work when he got home. He chose Daddy's work.
I told Mrs. Macasero that Silas was gone for the day and asked for a homework packet. Woah - was it a lot of work!! I mean - let's face it - he missed 7 hours of school. They don't just sit at their desks twiddling their thumbs all day.
I picked Silas up from Daddy's work and asked him about his day. He proclaimed, "It was the best day ever." After hearing more about it and asking him some questions, I let him know that when we got home he had to immediately sit down and do his school work. All of it. I think he was a bit surprised when he saw his stack of papers. 9 papers to be exact, most of them front and back.
Let's just say it took us about 90 minutes. 90 painful minutes. He was squirmy, tired and did not want to do it. I explained that I was really glad he had a fun day, but also that he made a choice. If he misses school, he still has to do all the work.
Silas loves to come home, have a snack and chill at the end of the day. I guarantee this was definitely not what he had in mind of how to spend his afternoon. However, I am glad that I stuck to my guns. Life is full of responsibilities. Part of my job is to teach him about said responsibilities. Don't get me wrong - I think there is balance in everything and it's okay to miss a day of school once in awhile. But, the work is still a requirement.
I wonder what he'll choose next time...


1 Comments
You're such a good mom.
ReplyDelete