Dirt, mocos and warts - that's what boys are made of.
Being a mom of boys, I learn more everyday. You know when you're a little girl and think that boys are gross? Well, that's probably because it's true! When my boys come home from school, they. are. a. mess. Now, I know this is probably true of all preschoolers and younger kids. They come home with remnants of their paint projects all over them, stamps or markers on their hands, food on their clothes, etc. But boys - they are dirty. Sand in their hair, sand in their ears, dirt under their fingernails and two shoes full of dirt. I now make Silas empty his shoes of sand before he walks in the door. Over the past few years, he's probably brought home enough to fill an entire sand box. If I send him to school in brand new, white socks - they're done for. Seriously - completely brown by the time he gets home.
Grossness aside, I love it. They are boys. Isn't this how it's supposed to be? Life is a big adventure -- a giant playground waiting to be explored. And well. -- they're going to discover every nook and cranny of it. Being a mom to boys is simply the best.
Who would've thought I could love two smelly little things oh so much? Eli's newest phrase is, "Hey Mom. I got mocos in my nose." For the longest time, I thought this was one of his silly words he made up and chalked it up to Eli just being Eli. As you know, he lives in his own little world - oblivious and happy, and with his own language. I was recently informed that his teacher, Ms. Jennifer, calls "boogers", "mocos". I learned that this is Spanish for mucus. Here I thought Eli was being crazy - and he was just speaking Spanish. Again, who would've thought? So, these days he's constantly talking about all his mocos.
Because of Silas, I am now an expert on wart removal. It all started with one silly little wart. I didn't think much of it. Soon, it became 3. Last time he had a doctor's appointment, I mentioned it to his pediatrician. She said if it wasn't bothering him, to just leave it be. She thought because of his age, and his personality, that freezing them off wouldn't go over so well. I figured - what the heck... if she thinks it's okay, then it must be. However, they are rather unsightly. When I noticed one on his arm and another on his leg - I had had it. This was enough and something needed to be done.
First, I tried the wart remover strips. Then, I tried a liquid wart remover that you brush on the wart (it was like brushing on finger nail polish). Both were obviously painless, but didn't quite do the trick. I couldn't put 10 bandaids on him everyday - nor could I afford to keep up with them. By the end of the day, his "special bandaids" were so dirty he needed new ones. That would put me at a box every two days and the box reads that it can take weeks to work. I finally buckled down and bought the wart removal system to freeze the warts. Don't worry, I tried it on myself first. That's another problem - he even gave me one! I can't having him spread warts to everyone at school. Let's just say, it was painful. I braced myself as I counted the 20 seconds it had to be placed on the wart and immediately knew freezing 10 warts was going to be a feat. The first problem would be getting him to let me do one, then holding his hand still for 20 seconds and then, convincing him to let me freeze off 9 more! Mission Next to Impossible.
During the first wart removal, he screamed at the top of his lungs and I know the neighbors must've thought someone was either dying or being beaten to death. He ran and hid in his room afterwards, crying and screaming hysterically. Dusty went and gave him a long pep talk about how Mommy and Daddy would never do anything to hurt him and this was something we had to do because warts are contagious. We had to fight the bad germs to kill and destroy them. After probably 5 more minutes, Silas insisting on praying and then practicing his yoga breathing to settle down. Then, we began the other nine. I could tell a long drawn out story, but let's just say it was painful. At the end, Dusty and I both let him "freeze" us. He actually didn't want to, because he's that sweet, but we talked him into freezing a spot on both of us for 20 seconds each.
Silas has been so excited watching the warts die. Again, it's not pretty. They turn black and eventually peel off. Today another one fell off and Silas proclaimed, "This is the best day ever, Mom. My warts are falling off!!" 2 down, 8 more to go and we are completely wart free! It'll be cause for a celebration :)
Dirt, mocos and warts - that's what boys are made of. I love my dirty, snotty, wart covered boys with all my heart and wouldn't trade places with any other mom in the world!
![]() |
| all my wart removing systems. |
![]() |
| 1) a dead wart. 2) a wart fell off! 3) yay, Mom! My warts are falling off. |


0 Comments