people.



I love the things kids say.  I mean, I don't appreciate this quality so much in adults, because let's be honest - most often people need to use a filter.  However, somehow it's funny when kids do not.


For example...


Last night Dusty and Eli went to the store.  Eli picked out a "prize" and one for Silas, too.  Silas got a cool spy kit that had an earpiece with a microphone and spy light.  Eli chose a small remote controlled Buzz Lightyear car.  I will say, it was unique in that there was only one button on the control.  Once you turned the car on, it simply went wherever it wanted to and only the button changed it's direction.  Still, you could not control where it went.  Silas took one look at it and asked, "So, you can't control where the car goes?  What's the fun in that?  That's just not fun at all." as he tossed it aside without a second thought.  I mean, it was true.  There is nothing fun about but being able to control where the car goes, but don't rain on Eli's parade.  He loved it.  It doesn't take much to entertain his simple mind.


Then, just now, I was looking at photos on Facebook.  Silas glanced over, spotted a family dressed up on the beach and asked, "Why are they taking pictures in the sand?"   I guess in the mind of a 5 year old, this didn't make much sense.  I mean, isn't the beach for bathing suits, sand castles and barbecues?  His statement made me laugh.  I guess Silas won't choose the beach for his choice of family photos one day.


I guess you could say kids say the things we sometimes think, but don't say.  And boy does Silas have lots of observations.  In response to most of the questions Silas asks me regarding people, the only answer I can give is, "I really don't know."  It's hard to answer why someone does or says something.  


For instance, "Why are his sunglasses on the back of his head?"  Okay, first of all - have you seen this?  This has become a pet peeve of mine lately.  I saw someone do this in church today.  All I can say is, "I. don't. know."  I wish I had an answer for that one - I mean, can't you just put them on top of your head, instead of wearing them backwards.  Not to mention, I don't want to see my reflection off the back of your head - it's kind of distracting and it simply looks ridiculous.  In my humble opinion, that is.  It does make you wonder why people do the things they do.  If you ever people watch, it's quite fascinating.  I don't ever go sit somewhere specifically to people watch, but you really can't help it if you are at say, Disneyland, and sit for a few moments to rest.  A multitude of people cross your path, all differing in clothing tastes, behavior, standards, etc.  You'll see someone wearing something strange and vow to never dress that way.  You'll see someone discipline their child in a manner that you deem inappropriate.  Or, you may see someone with an incredible sense of fashion and admire it.  There's no way around it.  People are fascinating.  
What's more fascinating is how quickly we can form opinions about others.  We can see an isolated incident and completely form a probably unfair opinion solely based on their current circumstances and behavior, as well as ours.  If I am in a good mood, I may see something completely different than I would if I were angry.  I wouldn't want someone to judge me based on a bad moment I'm having, rather than seeing me for who I really am.  Make sense?  I guess what I'm getting at is we all live in our own little worlds and often see things based on our own current circumstances.  Today I was in Target and was in a hurry.  I knew exactly what I wanted, where I needed to go and determined I could be in and out in a matter of minutes.  I know that store inside and out. However, all the people around me didn't seem to care and in short, they were in my way.  Take for instance the lady that was walking no faster than a slug and completely oblivious to my need to hurry.  Or, the 10 member family that was walking practically arm in arm through the aisle, not wanting to move over so I could pass.  Oblivious, much??  Or, the cashier that found the need to put no more than 2 items in a bag to where a.) it took way too long and, b.) I had way too many bags to carry.  It could have fit in a maximum of three bags but I left looking like I bought half the store.  I got in the car and joked with Dusty, "people trouble me."  If you've seen Ally McBeal, you know who The Biscuit is and love his quirky, endearing character.  He is often "troubled" and I think he is hilarious.  That's besides the point.  But really, in the end, you know what the problem was?  Me.  The world does not revolve around me.  People will be people, but the only thing I can control is myself.  I can't answer for what people do, what people are thinking or judge their behavior.  I should only concern myself with me, and I guarantee you that I probably don't live up to the standards I place on other people - if I'm honest with myself.  I mean, I'm not a perfect driver - I do stupid things sometimes or cut someone off when I have to get over.  Perhaps that is what happened to the person that cut me off.  Maybe they weren't intentionally trying to be rude and inconsiderate.  


I could go on and on giving examples.  This blog quickly took turn from where I thought it was going.  I guess that's the beauty of writing out my thoughts.  The point I'm getting at now is this - love people and don't take myself so seriously.  Love despite other's flaws, give more grace and keep my own attitude in check.  In summary, "Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents.  Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that."  Ephesians 5:2.

0 Comments