Mel update, nail polish & adventures with 4 kids.

Update on Mel:


Thursday's ultrasound showed no change - no better, no worse.  They continued to wait on the blood work.  The good news was Mel got a new, more comfortable mattress on her bed and was able to change rooms.  She got out of her cave, upgrading to a room with a view.  Anything is better than being cooped up, unable to at least see the sunlight from the confines of her bed.  I'm 100% certain Mel is bored out of her mind, because she has told me so.  After all, you can only read and watch so much tv.  And obviously, nothing can compare to your own bed, in your own home.


Today, Friday, the doctor made rounds and informed Nate and Mel that the parvovirus results came back negative.  They're still waiting on the blood work for cystic fybrosis and another potential virus.  The doctor typically wheels an ultrasound machine in the room and does her check-up there, but wanted Mel to go to the first floor today for an ultrasound on a better machine.  This way, they could get clearer images.  This ultrasound showed that the bowel was looking better, the fluid around it was still the same and the amniotic fluid was still low.  Nate was just explaining to me that it sounds like they've ruled out a twisted bowel, simply because it's looking better.  They were also told that the odds of it being cystic fybrosis is 25%.  Mel's doctor will continue to do ultrasounds every other day.  Once Mel makes it to 32 weeks, if they are unhappy with Quincy's growth, they'll more than likely take the babies.  If, at that time, the amniotic fluid is looking better, Mel could possibly go home.  


So there's two things we know for sure:  1.) we need Baby A's amniotic fluid to increase and 2.) Mel will spend her 27th birthday in the hospital.  Poor girl.  The reward of those precious babies will all be worth it in the end.  BUT, there's definitely no denying it's not a fun process.  But don't you worry - we're planning on still making her birthday special, hospital bed and all.


While we're being optimistic, one nice thing that is coming from all this chaos is the kids are enjoying some quality cousin time.  Oh, and some awesome Auntie Missa time, too.  I had already planned to take the kids to My Kid's Clubhouse today.  But, I ended up with some extra one-on-one time with each of the girls.  I was getting ready this morning when I got a phone call from Nate saying, "Would you mind making sure Maddy's hair looks okay?  I brushed it, but can you make sure?"  He had NO idea what he was asking me.  This is like my dream come true.  I grabbed a brush, some hair spray, the curling iron and nail polish.  I had a plan and could not get to school fast enough.  Sorry, but boys are simply no fun to dress and I obviously cannot make them up.  Mel has politely informed me that I will have my choice of 4 girls if ever I ever need a girl fix :)  

As soon as I dropped the boys off, I escorted Maddy into my office.  First, I gave her a choice of nail color and she chose mellow yellow.  I was surprised, because Maddy likes pink.  To be honest, I brought yellow for Zoe and pink for Maddy - but she obviously had her own opinion.  I painted her nails first so they could dry while I curled her hair.  I braided the front of her hair, pulling it half back.  I found some ribbon in my office and made a bow, fastening it to a bobby pin.  I proceeded to curl her hair and then put jewels on her thumbs once the nail polish was dry.  If I do say so, she looked quite beautiful and did not want to leave Auntie Missa's office.  


Not to be partial, I went to the daycare and borrowed Zoe for a bit.  She was more than excited to join me but wondered what on earth we were doing.  She was all geared up as soon as I told her my plan.  She was also stunned about Maddy's choice of nail color, and wanted mellow yellow as well.  10 minutes later and voila!!  A beauty queen stood before me.  Zoe wanted to stay with me in the office, but I needed to actually get some work done.  I assured her that I'd be back to get her after lunch-time.  



After lunch, I made due on my promise and picked the 4 kids up from school.  Wrangling 4 excited kiddos to the car is quite the task.  I felt like I was taking my own preschool with me.  


Nevertheless, we made it to the car all in one piece and took off for our adventure.  I herded the pack into My Kid's Clubhouse where they played for over two hours.  What more can I say - slides, a zip line, a rock wall, tunnels, balls, etc.  A kid's paradise.  Once they all decided they were done playing, we walked next door to a dollar store that had just opened.  Maddy immediately zipped over to some butterfly wings and a princess crown hanging on the back wall.  Zoe decided on some nail polish and flower stickers for her nails, Silas chose a frog game and Eli chose the obvious tractors.  We were in and out in less than 5 minutes, which I thought was pretty darn amazing.  4 kids all deciding on a prize in that time frame is outstanding.  Once in the car, we headed to Burger King for an Icee and then to the girl's house.  When we arrived at the house, both girls decided they wanted to play around with the nail polish and came up with quite the designs.  Maddy chose royal blue toes with blue "sprinkles" on top, a.k.a. glitter polish.  We added a black flower to one of her yellow thumbs and she wanted pink "sprinkles" on top of the yellow.  We took Zoe's polish off and reapplied, alternating yellow and blue amongst her fingers.  She put some flower designs on top to complete the look.  Then, she decided Auntie Missa needed an application too.  I wasn't getting out of there without some hand painted, hot pink flowers with yellow centers on my thumbs - and multi-colored glitter on all my nails.  I'm making a serious fashion statement over here.  Be very jealous.





All in all, we had an awesome day!!  The boys pleaded that the girls spend the night, but they have to help Grammy prepare their mommy's birthday cupcakes for tomorrow.  I'm sure I'll have some photos from the glamourous hospital birthday party to post tomorrow.  It's not how any of us expected to spend Mel's 27th birthday, but we will adapt.  And, we. will. have. fun!
And without further ado - To Mimi on your birthday...

Dear Mimi,
Grammy is going to make cupcakes when it's your birthday.  And, umm, I love you and hope you have the best birthday ever.  Keep the babies warm in case they're cold.  And, protect them and make sure they are not scared.  I love you.  
Silas
Dear Mimi,
Thank you for the babies.  And happy birthday.  And keep the babies safe.  I love you.
Eli

Maddy's prize. 
princess maddy. 

beautiful zoe. 
goofy cousins.

1 Comments

  1. Okay, yay! I'm glad there is no bad news and she got a room with a view. And I also am loving mellow yellow!

    ReplyDelete