Happy, Happy Birthday Mel!
Last year on Dusty's birthday, we all went around the room and said what he meant to us. I thought it was the neatest idea and was a special experience. In lieu of Melanie's birthday, I thought I'd do just that...
The first time I met Melanie was the day Dusty and I moved to San Diego, after we had driven straight from Tyler, TX. After 23 hours in the car, I'm not sure what kind of impression I made. To be honest, the only thing I remember about that night was Nate and Mel sitting together in the love seat, giddy and in love, as they had only been dating a few months. Before I knew it, the two of us were working at the school together and she was always over at the house. Dusty and I lived with his parents for about 4 months until we found our own place - and seeing that Nate and Mel were dating, she was always there too. Good thing I liked her, because we sure saw enough of one another!!
We've worked together the past 6 years and have shared so many experiences - from planning her wedding, to 4 pregnancies, to family vacations and shopping (well, maybe once ;) We literally spent an entire day trying to find a formal dress for both of us, tried on hundreds of dresses and still left empty handed. That was an exhausting day! Along with that has come an array of emotions - we've laughed, we've cried, we've vented - you name it. One funny memory that stands out to me was during the summer Dusty and I first moved. I was in the front office, had no car and had to rely on a ride to and from work, was newly pregnant and still adjusting to moving from Chicago. I was literally having an emotional meltdown. I'm not even sure what happened - but ended up at my desk sobbing so hard I couldn't talk. Mel found me and wanted to know how she could help. I think I said something like, "Please. {sniff, sniff} just take {sniff, sniff} me home {sniff, sniff, sniff}. Afterwards, of course, I felt like a complete idiot and wondered what the heck she must have thought me. I was quite sure she'd think I was nuts. But somehow, she didn't. Mel is my go-to person when I need someone to listen and has always been there, no matter what. She is incredibly giving, kind and can always make me laugh. She also puts up with my craziness and my texts at 4:45 a.m. We can always count on one another to be up that early, and yes, we do text in the morning as we're getting ready! (Or shall I say, we used to a whole lot more often before her iPhone deceased. Please, please replace it, Nate!!) We tease one another constantly to where people have said we act like real sisters -- they don't always get that we're only being sarcastic and silly.
As I said in my previous post - when I met Mel, I had no idea I was meeting my future SIL, much less one of the best of friends. She's also an amazing Mimi, loving my boys as if they were her own. To be honest, one of my very favorite things is seeing her interact with them because she does genuinely love them. It truly brings joy to my heart!
So Mel, on your birthday - which is one I know you never planned spending in the hospital - I just want you to know that you are loved. Thanks for your sweet spirit, your giving heart and most of all, your friendship. You have meant more to me than you'll ever know and I am a better person for knowing you.
Happy, happy birthday!
Happy, happy birthday!
![]() |
| can't even enjoy a birthday cupcake without being poked and prodded! story of her life these days. |
![]() |
| Silas' gift to Mimi. He was SO excited about it. Totally his idea. |
![]() |
| Mel with her girls. |
![]() |
| Mel with her Eli boy. |
![]() |
| Si's gift again. I had to post this larger because it's sooo sweet. |





0 Comments