Twenty four hours. Twenty four hours. That's how long we made it, but not for lack of adventure or survivability.
So, all Eli wanted to do for his birthday was go camping. Of course, this is a great idea and we were more than happy to oblige him. We love camping. We've been counting down the days.
The trip started out pretty well. Thursday, after work, we came home and loaded up the car. Mount Laguna is only about a 45 minute drive from us, so no big deal. We found the perfect camping spot right next to the restroom, that was super secluded, and had tons of shade {which was going to be important since the temperatures were in the 90's}. After setting up the tent we realized that Eli had somehow forgotten his tennis shoes and was indeed wearing flip flops. Not gonna cut it. Having really no alternative, Dusty decided to drive down the mountain and find a store with some shoes... and was to return with some firewood so we could get dinner going. Being resourceful and all, I told the boys to go gather as many sticks as they could find. They did well. We piled the fire pit with tiny sticks {it really was pretty ridiculous} and I found a lighter in Dusty's backpack. Somehow we managed to start a ginormous fire and keep it going long enough to cook dinner and s'mores. Still not sure how that happened, considering what we had to work with. By the time Dusty got back, dinner was ready!
After eating and cleaning up a bit, we decided to go on small hike, with the promise of taking a longer hike the next day. We set off on our way, having a great time until we had to head back because of sunset. We pretty much crashed when we got back, making an early night of it. We slept pretty well until some crazy birds were - well, we're not quite sure what they were up to, but were making the biggest racket ever. We decided to get up, get a fire going, and eat breakfast. Since we knew it was gonna be a hot one, we figured we'd get our hike in early. The boys were pumped and ready to go.
We headed to Garnet Peak. This was a blast, but maybe a little much for the boys {mostly due to the heat at the end and not bringing enough water}. We ended up hiking 6 miles, which was a lot for their little legs. When we got back to camp, Silas was really complaining about not feeling well. We agreed everyone was probably a little dehydrated and encouraged everyone to drink up! Silas downed several waters, but was appalled at the thought of food.
Everyone took a little nap {the big boys and Dusty in the tent, and JJ & me on the hammock.} After about an hour I heard a little rustling and then, "Mom?" in an urgent voice. "I don't feel so well...."
I will spare you the details of what followed. Let's just say that Silas caught the stomach bug that Eli had been struck with for 4 days earlier in the week. And boy, it isn't pretty. I mean, I don't have tons of experience with throwing up... I just don't do it, and I have fortunately been spared with very few incidents with the boys. But I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like this... ever.
He. was. mis-er-able. And it was heartbreaking to watch. He was pleading with me to take him home. At first we thought... maybe... he will feel better and just needed to get something out of his system. As bad as we felt for Silas, we also felt bad for Eli and his birthday trip. But, it didn't take us long to figure out {Eli included} that we were going to have to pack up early and head home.
Fortunately we made it home without incident. Unfortunately, he's still going strong. I'm praying he recovers soon and feels a million times better in the morning. From what I have seen, it looks worse than what Eli had - and he was sick four days! It's been a crazy start to summer guys! Minus our twenty four hours of camping, we have been cooped up in the house sick since school got out.
That being said, we at least got plenty of photos in twenty four hours... of course! Enjoy!
 |
| We are pretty good at starting a fire, if I do say so myself ;) |
 |
| Our fire we built by ourselves! |
 |
| Strong boy, breaking wood for the fire! |
 |
| On our first mini hike. |
 |
| Our mini hike. |
 |
| He woke up today happy and ready to hike! |
 |
| Morning snuggles. |
 |
| On our "big" hike to Garnet Peak. |
 |
| Happy and still feeing well! |
Eli had a great time, but got super hot and flushed by the time we made it down! This was about a mile up! {We still had five more to go.... }
 |
| At the top of Garnet Peak... and this, my friends.. is where my camera battery died. :( |
 |
| My cup runneth over. They are my joys and I love every second with them! |
 |
| My hammock buddy. Doesn't get any cuter! |
 |
| This breaks my heart... this was the car ride home. We covered the seat with a sleeping bag and gave him a large pot if he needed it :( I will say - I was super thankful for this buckets seats so I could recline him. Thanks new mini van! |
0 Comments