our out of the ordinary thanksgiving.

My Thanksgiving post is a little late - probably because our Thanksgiving had a mind of its own this year.  By that I mean, we can make plans, but that doesn't really mean too much.  Anything is subject to change.  

When we are in San Diego, we always spend Thanksgiving day with Dusty's family at his aunt and uncle's house.  It's great.  He has a huge family and it is quite something to see that many people gathered round, reflecting on what they're thankful for.  We stand in a circle and go around, each expressing what we have to be thankful for.  Not to mention the plethora of food.  It. is. a. sight.  In fact, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

But, it turns out Silas and Eli were both sick this year -- sick enough that we decided to stay home, which is a big deal for us.  There is sick {with sniffles and kind of feeling bad} and there is sick {high fevers, aches, kids napping half the day and looking/acting miserable}.  We didn't think it would be wise to get them out.  So, guess what?  I made my first Thanksgiving dinner {okay, lunch}.  I was just telling someone I didn't know if I would ever be able to do that since it seems we will always be one place or the other {San Diego or Texas}.  

It was slightly untraditional in the fact that I didn't have a turkey {not going to the family Thanksgiving was a morning of call}, so I roasted a chicken.  I did make everything else though, don't you worry!  Besides our roasted chicken {which was quite beautiful and juicy, I might add}, we had stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mac & cheese, rolls, and don't forget the pumpkin pie.  It was quite the feast for the four of us, considering the boys weren't all that hungry, nor do they really like many of those foods! However, I did make them try everything.  Silas was surprised to find he loved the stuffing and my mashed potatoes were basically the best he's ever had.  Eli sort of tried everything {by trying I mean licking, all the while crying} but did find he loved the green beans.  Poor kid was miserable, I will give him that.  He promptly fell asleep as soon as we dismissed him from the table.

This photo about sums it up.  Silas was in a good enough mood and feeling okay enough at the moment to be somewhat excited, Eli was not feeling well at all and didn't want to eat, and poor Jeremiah wanted to attack the food but can't eat!

Life has a way of putting things into perspective.  It has been an interesting Thanksgiving week, that's for sure.  Even though this year didn't quite go as planned, I know I have so much to be thankful for.  We are blessed, indeed.  I am so thankful for my family - especially our new addition this year and his first Thanksgiving - that he is here and healthy and the joy that he brings to us.  I am thankful for my two big boys that continually amaze me with their soft hearts, joy for life, love of God and just the uniqueness that makes them them.  I am thankful for a hard working husband that works diligently to provide for us and invests lots of time with the boys {who adore him}.  I am thankful for my extended families and the impact they have on our lives.  I am thankful for a house, a job and that I am in need of nothing - God has abundantly blessed us.  Mostly, I am thankful for a generous and loving God - especially the grace that He extends towards us.  I am so inadequate and so unworthy and am incredibly thankful for His forgiveness.

Below is a link to the video Dusty made from the clips I got at the boy's Thanksgiving Feast at school.  I am also thankful that my boys have a Christian education and the opportunity to attend such an amazing school.  This is actually one of the things I am most thankful for, because it is invaluable what they receive on a daily basis.  Click HERE to watch the video.

And here's a few other photos of our life lately.

BIG, BLUE eyes.
me and my three boys at the feast.
little bit playing with his toy monkey in his crib.
my baby is getting WAY too big -- sitting up.
checking himself out on my camera phone.
sweet, sick little boy.
Also at the feast - I love this pic, mostly because of J's face.  And Eli was obviously over it at this point!
Eli with his turkey craft.  Art is his favorite subject :)
Silas just got some Lincoln logs.  He thinks they're the greatest thing ever.
sick boys.
his Christmas jammies are a little big.
this was the nap I was referring too after our Thanksgiving dinner.  He immediately went to the couch and fell asleep.
stud muffin dressed up for Christmas pictures {I'll post later!}
Dusty taught Silas the "tebow"
his "after Thanksgiving meal" nap.  Don't tell, but I did let him try the sweet potatoes ;)

0 Comments