Having Fun at the Beach

Yes, my title is from a Wiggles song. It worked.

This is the sunny San Diego that I know. It's funny to me how we are always ready for the next season - we want what we don't have, kind of thing. I know by the end of summer everyone will be complaining about the heat and ready for cooler days, but for now everyone is longing for sunshine! Granted, I have only lived in San Diego going on six years, but it's been the coolest and rainiest winter I have experienced. It seems especially the weekends have been so. We will have a relatively nice week and then it's cold and rainy on the weekend. Praise God for an absolutely glorious day today. It's been such a nice week and I have been checking the weather every single day, curious to see how the weather would play out for Saturday and Sunday. Sure enough, the forecast was supposed to be high seventies and sunny, so we planned for the beach. We got out the new swimsuits I bought weeks ago, sunscreen, beach towels, sand toys and we were off! I think a lot people had the same idea, because all the beaches were crazy. We actually ended up going to the bay, which is not the beach, Dusty will have me know. However, there is sand and water so as far as the boys are concerned, it's all the same.

We found our parking spot and claimed a spot in the sand. Silas was grinning ear to ear as he had been anticipating going all morning. Eli obviously had no idea what we were doing. Dusty took off Eli's socks and shoes and put him down - yes, I said socks and shoes. {pause my beach story - side note} Eli is obsessed with his shoes. He hates taking them off and when I do he typically cries, "shoooes, shoooes. on. me." The past few days I have been trying to get him in sandals and he freaks out and somehow manages to get them off. Before we went today I took the boys to Target to get Silas some new sandals since he outgrew his and looked for something that maybe Eli would like better. Every time I put a pair on him he screamed, "noooo. shoooes!!" So I decided it wasn't worth the fuss and if he preferred his socks and shoes, so be it. He could be the only person in the world to wear his socks and shoes to the beach, in the sand. {back to my beach story} Eli immediately was not digging the sand. He just stood there with his toes curled, arms in the air, whimpering and wanting to be picked up. Dusty picked him up and went down to the water with the boys. Silas ran right in and Eli eventually adjusted to walking on the sand. He never went too far into the water, but got more excited about it as he observed Silas' enthusiasm.

Silas was hysterical. This is my child that is always cold. It can be 80 degrees outside and he says he wants a jacket - or a blanket. The water was really cold - so cold that I did not want to even walk in it. But he ran on out there without a care in the world. At one point he ran all the way from the water and over to the towel I was sitting on and proclaimed, "Mommy! The water is so nice and so fun. Come see how fun it is. Mommy, taste my hand. The water tastes sooo yummy!" Okay, seriously. My child is crazy. This is also coming from the child that does not like to try anything new and says he doesn't like anything. It's next to impossible to feed him a meal. Eating is the one thing I really struggle with with Silas. But now, he could be the only person in existence that likes the taste of salt water. I am not kidding- every time he ran out of the water he licked his hands. Yes, he's a mess, but I'll still claim him and all his quirkiness :)

After a couple hours we were all laying on the beach towels, the boys were eating goldfish and apple juice and we were all laughing as Silas entertained us with all the funny things he has to say. Silas told us that "the beach is so nice. I will have to come back tomorrow." I think in the end, Eli agreed. Good thing we live 20 minutes from countless beaches because we definitely have two beach boys on our hands.

Silas tasting the salt water








Splish Spashing in the water

1 Comments

  1. It looks like a wonderful day, one of those times you just cherish as it happens. I love the way Silas and Eli interact.

    ReplyDelete