The Doctor's Office
Immunizations can be a controversial topic amongst parents - to immunize or not? Don't worry, this is not a discussion on my viewpoints regarding whether or not it should be done. But for those of us that have chosen to, we all dread the check-ups where said immunizations are involved. Today was one of those days.
Of course we all hate to see our teeny tiny babies crying in pain- it's the worst! However, today's experience was much different than any other I've had - my four year old was screaming so loud people could probably hear him outside the building. Silas hasn't had any immunizations since his two year check-up and let's face it, at that point they still have no clue what's going on. They don't know to be scared. But today's appointment was disastrous from the get go.
We were sitting in the waiting room and the nurse called our name - sort of. I didn't know Silas was so hard to pronounce, but apparently it is. I'm not sure anyone at the doctor's office has ever pronounced it correctly. Even if you had never heard of it, couldn't you at least sound it out? I would think so. The nurse opened the door and called, "Sill-us Sniff", like a window sill. I gather my two boys, slightly embarrassed as usual that everyone thinks I actually named my kid Sill-us. And for those of you wondering if it's possible to get Eli wrong? Again, apparently so. We are always greeted with "Ellie", like the girl's name. Yeah - enough said. So we stop in the first room where Silas was to be weighed and measured. Then the nurse tried to take his blood pressure, and the meltdown began. He was screaming, "I don't want to. Noooo! I don't want to." We tried for 5 minutes but never got an accurate reading. Then the attempted hearing test - let's just say that didn't go so well. Finally, we are led to our room. The nurse hands me a gown, asking me to take off his clothes and put him in it. This was met by lots of tears and whining. I have absolutely no idea why he was responding in this manner, because he typically likes the doctor. But at this point I knew the shots were not going to go over well.
After we met with our pediatrician, whom I love by the way, the nurse came back in with her four needles. Silas had no idea what was going to happen, because he doesn't remember the last time he had shots - but he knew he wasn't going to like it. Long story short, it took every ounce of strength in me to hold him down. The first one shocked him, then he went berserk. Eli all the while was running in circle and having a grand ole time.
The nurse left and Silas was still crying. Little did he know that we were not finished. We had to go upstairs to get some lab work. When we got in the elevator, he started crying that he wanted to go home and didn't want to go upstairs. We got to the lab and there was a line out the door. He started crying that he had to go to the bathroom - mind you, everyone in the lab could hear him. I then told him we had to wait a minute because he had to pee in a cup. I thought he would think this was kind of funny or silly. Rather he screamed, "I don't want to pee in a cup!!!" [Stares from everyone in the waiting room] I continued to try and calm him down. We finally got to the front of the line, got our cup, and headed to the bathroom. We were successful.
Then we went to sit down. "Mommy, what are we doing??" "Silas, we have to have one more test." Screaming and crying, "I don't want any tests. I don't like tests!!!" [More stares] This continued for a few minutes. Finally, our name was called. At least this time the guy didn't attempt his name and just called "Sniff". Terrified, he wouldn't come to me, so I had to put Eli down and carry him. We sat down and it took three of us to hold him down. During the process of drawing blood, he screamed so loud my ear was ringing. Worst experience ever! Silas finally calmed down and got to pick out a sticker. Then, we proceeded out the door to the waiting room filled with our 50 new friends that witnessed his earlier meltdown. As we walked through the doorway, we were greeted with a very loud round of applause and cheering, with one man yelling, "What a big boy you are! You did it!!" I'm not sure I've ever been so embarrassed in all my life. I'm quite positive I was beet red. I'm also quite positive that even with this description, there is no way to possibly comprehend what we went through at the doctor's office today. I'm not sure who deserved the sticker more - him, or me!
5 Comments
You deserve a medal! BTW the only clear memory I have at 4 is my immunizations and the tantrum I threw.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely deserved a sticker!!!
ReplyDeletewell Im sure it was a really hard day for you but I can remember not wanting shots as a kid, if fact i fought the doctor as well. A sticker , did you say sticker, at least we got suckers. Poor guy, tell him pawpaw understands and loves him. you should have had him go around the room and collect money when they all started clapping. Hugs to you and Silas. Dad and Pawpaw
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThe best part of this whole story is that Eli was happy as can be! :) Your blog is great, Melissa!
ReplyDelete