Snow Day

So, you know you live in San Diego when your children are a.) fascinated by the rain and b.) freezing if it get's below 65 degrees. I thoroughly enjoyed the weather today. It was around 55 degrees, was dark and cloudy, and rained most of the day. This is quite the change of pace from our familiar 72 degrees and sunny without a single cloud in the sky. For the most part, I love the weather here - but, I do miss having seasons. In any case, it was the perfect day to stay inside and let the boys relax while I did some organizing and cleaning. I was so impressed at all I accomplished today. I went through all the boys clothes, bagged up everything Eli had outgrown, moved Silas' outgrown clothes to Eli's drawers and put Silas' and Eli's new clothes away. (Thanks Mamaw and Papaw)
I tossed anything that wasn't nice enough to pass along to someone else and also went through mine and Dusty's clothes. I did three loads of laundry, cleaned the floors, dusted the furniture and then worked out. Needless to say, I didn't get myself and the kids in the shower until probably 2:00. Meanwhile, Dusty was at his office getting some work done. He came home around 2:30 to all three of us with wet hair, me just getting dressed, and the boys half dressed with big huge grins on their faces. Dusty played with the boys for a bit while I made lunch and finished getting ready.

Dusty had heard on the radio that there was about 6 inches of snow in the mountains so after a brief discussion, we decided to bundle up the boys and head up there. Silas was all excited to put on his snow boots we got last Christmas for our vacation in Colorado. Eli was less than impressed with having to put on Silas' old heavy winter coat, having no clue what a coat was. But, Si was more than thrilled to put his new Lightning McQueen winter coat to good use. It's funny to me that we even have winter coats, but I guess we have to be prepared for spur of the moment trips to the snow! Needless to say, Eli had no idea what was going on and Silas was super excited. Si, of course, fell asleep in the car on the way and Eli was happy in the backseat singing to the music and every once in awhile saying, "woah" or "wow". We finally woke Silas up and he was amazed and excited about all the snow on the ground. He told us, "woah momma, look at the snow!!! I found Christmas!" (side note: anytime Silas sees a Christmas tree, Christmas lights, decorations, or just anything having to do with Christmas, he proclaims that he "found Christmas". It's really sweet!)

So, after driving up the mountain a good ways, we found a spot to pull over where lots of people were sledding and building snowmen. We got the boys out of the car, spent about 10 minutes putting on their coats and gloves and proceeded to carry them down the hill.

2 minutes later...

Eli was shivering. We put him down and he was very upset because he couldn't really walk. Dusty knelt down to show him a snowball and Eli screamed. Silas wanted to make a snowball. He got a handful of snow, threw it, laughed hysterically and repeated.

Silas' snowball

Eli looking at the snow

2 minutes later...

Silas began crying and freaking out. "Momma, my hands are sooo cold. I need to go to the car to get warm!!!" Eli joined in on the crying. Dusty then took this picture to document the craziness. Although Eli's head is down, he is also crying.



We looked at each other and realized that was about all our boys were gonna take, and walked back up the hill to the car.

In the end, our 5 minutes of fun were worth it. The drive was beautiful and relaxing and the boys really enjoyed seeing the snow, they just preferred to see it from the warm confines of our car. It's a good thing we live in San Diego, because I'm not sure they could handle "winter". The good news is they are both obsessed with sand and water - they are beach born babies through and through.


0 Comments