you know you're pregnant when...

My last pregnancy, this was a fun blog I did several times.  So, I thought I'd pick it back up.

But first, can we just say this pregnancy is {of course} very similar to my previous three, but also oh so completely different.  I mean, you have all the usual symptoms that there's really no need to get into.  And quite frankly, the list can be a little embarrassing.  There's nothing super glamorous about growing a baby, per all the not-so-friendly changes to your body.  That's a whole other topic, my friends.  

Let's just say - for one - that pregnancy feels a whole lot different at 34 than 23.  I'm not gonna lie - I'm feeling old.   I'm exhausted, which is completely normal, but it seems even more so.  The best thing in the world though has been the excitement of the boys.  I'm not chasing around toddlers or have another baby in diapers.  I have big boys - four, eight, and ten to be exact.  Big boys that can help.  Big boys that want to be a part of this whole experience and go to my sonograms, talk to my tummy, hug and kiss my tummy, help me around the house.  They are excited about my growing belly because that means all the sooner the baby can come out.  They want to help pick out names and have loved keeping little secrets.  Rather than having little siblings that honestly have no clue what's really going on, I have three boys that are not only thrilled, elated, and counting down the days - but three boys that I know will rise to the occasion of their newfound roles.  It's the most endearing thing in the world.  I can't even.  My heart wants to burst.

I'm also feeling all the nausea.  I never knew what pregnancy and nausea was all about.  Boy do I ever have compassion for all the sick pregnant ladies now.  This is the one time in my life that maybe, just maybe, I'd want to pass on the salad and eat a steak, or dessert.  But nothing sounds good.  Ever.  It's been fourteen weeks of blah.  I'm not sure water even tastes good.  This too, shall pass.  So, I keep telling myself.

I feel so blessed.  Yes, I know that word can be so completely overused... I'm just not sure of any other way to sum it up.  I feel so incredibly thankful to have this experience of growing this little miracle.  And no, the fourth time doesn't lose any of it's charm... it's just as amazing.  This little sweetie who I've already seen {and even felt} squiggling around, sucking it's thumb, waving, dancing, and showing off the miracle that he/she is.  This is a life.  A perfectly formed life, with 10 fingers and 10 toes, all it's functioning organs, fingernails, and even the tiny teeth that will all too soon pop out.  God knew this little being before time and knows it now as it's growing inside me.  There's just no words. Only, miraculous.

All that being said, you know you're pregnant when...

1.  You have one all consuming thought on your brain - baby. 
pregnancy. baby. due date. countdown of days.  size of baby.  milestones of baby.  baby, baby, baby.  You simply cannot escape it.  And the constant need to run to the restroom doesn't help.

2.  Speaking of restroom - that it's possible to go 17 times in only 3 hours.  And 30 times at night.

3.  Lack of sleep.  I mean, you'd think you'd be sleeping the day away, right?  Kinda.  Yeah, I fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow from pure exhaustion.  And then I have to go to the restroom (full circle back to point #2) and so the night turns into an endless game of falling asleep and waking back up.

4.  When you wake up at 11:00 p.m. s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g your brains out and need a snack.  And then again at 2:00 a.m.  And you actually go downstairs and get said snack.  And this brings us back to the lack of sleep point.

5.  When getting dressed in the morning becomes an event.  And sometimes might even bring a meltdown of tears.  Because nothing fits the way you want it to.  And all your clothes look wrong.  And you just look chubs and not pregnant.  And you finally give up and put on whatever and just don't look in the mirror.  But you don't want to cry because of that little miracle.  But maybe you do anyway.

6.  When the size of your stomach becomes a normal topic of conversation.  Like the weather.  Oh, and when your adorable boys also comment daily and one day tell you you look "huuuuuuuge" and "finally look pregnant".

7.  When you immediately regret something you ate.  Because it just doesn't sit well.  Like that greek yogurt you just ate.  And now you wanna throw up.  But oh, tiny miracle.  You still love it.

8.  When you can watch your sonogram video 100 times over and smile every time.  And pause it frame by frame.  And obsess over every angle.   And also watch other sonograms on youtube.  Or births.  Or any baby video.  And cry.  Yes, of course there are tears.

9.  When you have the calendar dates memorized by what week you will be turning - 16 weeks, 20 weeks, etc.  And you know all the milestones and appointments like the back of your hand.  

10.  When times absolutely stops.  Well, at least moves in slow motion.  This pregnancy has been the quickest so far, for sure - but even still ---- s-l-o-w.

11.  Baby names.  The ever important search for the "perfect" name.  Ya know, it kinda becomes an obsession.  And you get stuck on one for awhile and then move to another.  And then - you have it.  But, ya gotta keep it a secret til you announce.  And you're also a little sad about the boy/girl name you won't get to use.  Because pregnancy has made you crazy like that.

12. When everywhere you go your kids say, "I'm so excited!!" to random strangers, hoping they will ask "why are you so excited?" so they can celebrate the news with the whole world.  And you love their excitement.  But you also get to say yet again, "yes... fourth child.  yep, three boys.  nope... I really don't care.  I would adore a fourth boy.  yep, ha ha... baseball team.  or princess.  yep."

13.  When even in the midst of all your cray crazy, you are giddy.  Because you are growing a miracle.  And you love everything about it.  You can get over any amount of heart burn, tight clothing, stranger comments, lack of sleep, trips to the restroom, etc, because you know that all too soon {or maybe not soon enough}, you will be holding that tiny miracle.  And for a moment, time will stand still.  And it will all be worth it.

Dusty asked what if we placed bets on boy/girl.  I said 10 to 1 girl.
Any guesses? 
It feels like I just found out and at the same time, forever.

0 Comments