field trippin', part two.

Yesterday was a blast!  Silas and I got to spend the day together at the San Diego Zoo for his end of the year field trip.   It was the sweetest because he had been anticipating it for quite some time and was literally thrilled at everything he saw.  "Oh look, Mom!!!  It's a polar bear... awwwww!",  "ELEPHANTS!!", "Mom, can I please use the camera to take some pictures of the animals?!"

He has been to the zoo before, but somehow field trips must make it all the more special.  He couldn't have had more fun or taken more photos.  He has recently expressed an interest in learning to use the camera and so I let him have a go at it.  But not without a handful of comments from onlookers regarding the size or "niceness" of said camera.  His friends were troopers, posing for multiple photos and also waiting for him at exhibits while he snapped away.  I love his interest and diligence.  I shoot in manual mode, so it's not easy... 

He is learning how to adjust the shutter speed, iso, and aperture as he walks around in different settings and lighting.  That probably makes no sense to most people, but let me say - pretty impressive for a ten year old.  Then we came home and edited together, as he gave me input on how he wanted his photos cropped and adjusted.  I'm not sure what was more fun - the field trip, or the photography lessons!

We had a such special time together and I am so very thankful for these days.  Even though he is growing ever so quickly, he still loves hanging with mom, is still full of "I love you's", hugs, and even holds my hand on occasion.  I gotta soak in these moments, as I know they're fleeting.  This is what it's all about - the now.  I am thankful for the awareness to embrace it, and cherish it.  I love this sweet boy who made me a mom and who continually blows me away with the person he is and who he is becoming.  Thanks for the best day, Si!




























Silas, the photographer!

All the photos below are Silas'.  He did such a great job!
Photographing his friends.


I love that he thought to take photos of all the signs.


So, the baby gorilla was too, too cute!  


The polar bears were out and about, having a good ole time!


He especially loved this photo!





0 Comments