chicago revisited, family style.

I cannot wrap my head around the fact that it's been eleven years since we packed our 11x14 apartment, loaded everything we owned into the back of my father-in-law's truck, and drove away from the city that had become our home - Chicago.  With the skyline in our rearview mirrors, I vividly remember that moment as if it were yesterday.  My eyes teared up and I knew I was leaving a piece of me behind, but was excited about the future.  It was the end of an era and yet, a new beginning.

Chicago was a time of my life I have definitely romanticized.  I have nothing but fond memories and often say I would relive that experience.  In many ways, it was where I grew up and learned so much about myself, who I was, and who I wanted to be.  It was the first time in my life I was really independent.  I naively embarked on a journey - one that probably shocked most people that knew me - and set out to follow God and what He was preparing me for at the Moody Bible Institute.  I'll also never forget the moment my parents dropped me off in the middle of downtown Chicago, with who knows how many feet of snow on the ground {keep in mind, I had never even seen snow}, and walked away.  That was it.  That was a moment I wasn't prepared for and yet had to be.  

We have talked about Chicago so much that our boys have in some ways lived it through our stories.  They have always begged to go, and I have dreamt of taking them there.  This week was a fulfillment of that dream as we took them for what I hope to be the first time of many.  We gave them the full experience - and the same one Dusty and I both had - experiencing it for the first time during the middle of winter.  

If you've ever been to Chicago, the airport is a bit of a ways from downtown.  We decided to go all in, taking the L {the subway} from the airport to downtown Chicago.  This takes roughly an hour.  Their eyes were big and full of excitement as they had their first experience riding the subway.  My favorite part was that it was night time and they still hadn't seen the skyline yet since we didn't fly over it.  When we finally got to our stop and got off the L, we walked up to the stairs right in the middle of downtown.  If you've never been to a big city there's something about it that just makes you feel alive.  Within seconds Silas said, "is it possible to be in love already?"  This made my heart smile.

On Thursday we gave them the grand tour of Moody.  This, this... was what I had been waiting for and not just for them, but for me.  You walk on the campus and it's just surreal - it also feels alive.  You can just feel God's presence there.  Silas and Eli were so interested and loved seeing where we lived, where we went to class, where we hung out, etc.  JJ was a little more interested in going back to the hotel, but hearing Eli say he wanted to go to Moody made my heart want to do flips.  Even today, when I asked him, he said his favorite part of Chicago was Moody.  He kept pleading to go back, so Dusty ended up taking him again on Friday.  

Thursday night we went to Moody Church for the annual Founder's Week conference.  Can I just say - I could have just had tears streaming down my face the whole time?  I can't even describe it - just, wow.  I definitely would have if I didn't have a three year old JJ in my arms/lap wiggling the whole time.  Still 100% worth it though.   Again, it brought back so many memories and was just incredible worshipping with thousands of fellow alumni, students, and faculty, with Shane & Shane leading and then an incredible speaker, Alistair Begg.  Gah!  Just amazing.

Friday we just did typical touristy type stuff around Chicago.  We went to China town, rode the L around a bit, walked Michigan Avenue, and took them to where we had our first date for dinner.  Of course we took them to Giordano's {on Thursday} to eat Chicago pizza.  I mean, seriously - the best thing you've ever put in your mouth.  If you haven't had it, you should fly to Chicago just for a piece.

All in all, it was a quick, but memorable trip and a dream come true.  I may have kinda really lost it last night, just overwhelmed by the experience and emotions of it all.  We were welcomed back home to an 81 degree sunny San Diego and though there's always no place like home, I'll forever leave a piece of my heart in that freezing, Windy City.  Until next time, Chicago.  We will be back!

This trip was ALL they talked about for weeks. 

The first subway experience - notice Silas with the go pro!!
Don't worry, a video will shortly ensue! 
We had to take a photo in front of American Girl for cousin Maddy 
We had the opportunity to meet up with a long-time pastor friend I know from Texas for dinner Thursday night.
He always attends Founder's Week and Moody's Pastor's Conference so we would always meet up while I attended Moody.
One of the most beautiful churches ever. 
Our little family. 
Me and the boys at Moody. 

In front of the arch.
There's so much history on this campus... and it is beautiful! 


Can you tell they were cold?! 
annnnnd, windy! 
JJ was hamming it up. 
Happy about the "train" coming!


Annnd, something made him mad.
That's his stink face! 
By the Chicago river. 


Being silly. 
They became pros at the subway! 
Silas' was determined to get a photo by Trump tower. 


China town 








                   

1 Comments

  1. Only someone who has visited MBI can appreciate the presence of God that is felt upon the campus. Although leaving Melissa in Chicago was one of the most difficult things we ever did, I also cherish the many visits I made.

    ReplyDelete